Keep Comments pinned to design elements (so moving design elements automatically moves comments)

Unfortunately, pinning comments does not work in practice when working with autolayout containers.
As cool as this auto-layout feature is to easily move up and down blocks within this container without having to manually move them, but unfortunately you lose the affiliation of all comments because they stick to the container and not to the blocks inside.

1 Like

Bumping this isssue. As awesome as auto-layout feature is to keep everything tidy and organized, is this frustrating.

1 Like

Kind of frustrating that stuff like this needs to be upvoted for reaction… this is essential. try to handle +1.000 comments this way.

3 Likes

Still an issue. I’m currently collaborating on a 58 page report (that will be exported as a PDF), and each page is a Frame. If I reorder those frames or add new frames the comments don’t stay attached. It’s a complete mess.

2 Likes

When cutting a frame and pasting into a different page in the same file, comments don’t follow/attach. Is there something I’m doing wrong for it not to “follow”?

1 Like

Can not find it, can you please share the link of the plugin? Tnx

Just wanted to share with you all that I can add comments for new Frames that I make, but it does not work for the frames I previously made, from let’s say a month ago…

:woman_shrugging:

Comments carry over when you move a frame from one page to another using the Move to page option from the right-click menu. But I agree that comment shouldn’t disappear when a frame is cut and pasted between pages.

1 Like

Who else Googled for solutions but ended up on this page?
It’s been almost 2 years and Figma still hasn’t solved this pain point. hmm…

4 Likes

@Figma_Support pleas note, this issue IS NOT actually resolved

The author of the tred says, that comments should move with nested elements as well, not just with top-level ones

It’s really easy to make this feature, and we all need it, please max out the priority of this one in your backlog

3 Likes

This is still an issue. comment seem to attach to sticky, and then randomly de-attach and half of the board is full or “orphaned” comments that nobody knows what they belong to. Its really annoying.

1 Like

This has suddenly become an issue for me too. Comments that were once attached inside Figma have detached and appear to float on a surface level. When you first open a file, you see the comments in the correct places but once you zoom, the comment does not respond with zooming through the layers.

3 Likes

Every single time, I have to duplicate the page with comments, open a new page on one monitor, and the old one on another to review comments manually in order to avoid messing up all the comment positions. Then there comes another issue of managing versions. Some projects require working back and forth with clients, multiple rounds of feedback and changes (not even to mention different team members working in the same file). We end up with over 10 versions with comments scattered on each page (because we have to duplicate them), making it hard to track back instead of showing comments in a thread and in the same places.

Help :ring_buoy: I feel like this issue became way worse since sections have been introduced to Figma! @Gleb

1 Like

I didn’t break it :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m having the same issue comments should be able to be pinned to artboards within an auto layout.

I was hoping that comments would also get pinned in prototype view, but it’s not the case.

Similar to this request here, @Figma_Support can we please look into having comments pinned to elements when comments are added from and shown on the Prototype (URL with figma.com/proto/), not just the File?

Hi Figma,

I make a lot of prototypes with scrolling behavior. When sharing the prototypes with stakeholders communication is important. It’s therefore annoying that comments don’t stick to elements.
Comments that apply to elements outside of the initial viewing area end up in a pile at the top of the frame instead of being pinned to the intended area.

Would love a solution to this!

2 Likes

Absolutely a great idea - let’s have this asap!