Skip to main content
Aalok_Trivedi
February 9, 2021

Scale as a property

  • February 9, 2021
  • 96 replies
  • 7363 views

Scale is one of my most used properties when designing interactions and states. It would be great if we had true ‘scale’ as a property.

No, I’m not talking about the scale tool. That’s fake scale that affects the width/height of elements.

I want the ability to enter something like ‘1.5’ and change the scale of an element, respectively.

96 replies

Gleb
Power Member
February 10, 2021

So what would you scale with this scale if not width/height? Only stroke thickness?

Aalok_Trivedi
February 10, 2021

@Gleb No it will affect everything, just like current the scale tool, but I want it to behave like a true scale property. The current scale tool just adjusts the actual values to match that scale value you drag it to. My idea is actual scale property I can control., but doesn’t affect the layout.

In actual dev, scale doesn’t actually physically change the computed width and height of an element; you’re just changing it visually.

I know it might be a little more tricky, Tech/UX-wise, but I think this way could work. Here is a simple example of what I’m envisioning:
Shared with CloudApp

Gleb
Power Member
February 10, 2021

So it basically works like Scale tool but for inner contents of the frame? Why not use Scale tool then? And why can this be useful in Figma?

Aalok_Trivedi
February 10, 2021

No it’s It’s different. Also I can’t control the percentage of the scale. I have to rely on the property width and calculate it myself, which is frustrating. The current scale tool is just a glorified resizing tool

Gleb
Power Member
February 10, 2021

What if you could control the percentage of scale tool? (Actually a plugin called skale already allows you to do that.) Will that solve your problem?

Aalok_Trivedi
February 10, 2021

No not really, because it will still change the actual dimensions of the element, which will potentially affect the rest of the layout behavior, especially if it’s in an autolayout (ex: I have a list of items and want an item to change scale on hover or click).

Gleb
Power Member
February 10, 2021

As a workaround you can simply put your list item in a frame and scale it, leaving the frame the same size, like you showed above.

Aalok_Trivedi
February 10, 2021

I’m aware, but this is a feature request so I don’t have to rely on countless workarounds that add more unnecessary complexity. Thanks though.

Dario_Stefanutto
New Participant
February 19, 2021

Hello beautiful people.

Basically I have a component instance which I resized inside another component. When I try to swap the nested component, Figma doesn’t keep the scaling and brings it back to 100% of its size. This happens only with nested components.

Is this a bug? Any idea of how to fix this?

Bruno_Figueiredo
New Participant
February 21, 2021

I think this is a limitation, but people have already started posting about it on several slack channels and here too.