Skip to main content
ivan_guidea
April 19, 2022
Question

Styles applied to text layers or component instances get detached at random

  • April 19, 2022
  • 51 replies
  • 7027 views

We are experiencing a weird issue in Figma where library “Text Styles” applied to text layers or component instances get detached on random.

Our fix is to use a semi-automated way of selecting all text layers on a screen and then perform the “Reset text style” action.

The issue is persistent and seems to happen at random - anyone experienced something similar before?

There is a closed topic on what seems like the same issue, with no resolution provided - Text Styles randomly get detached from original file

This topic has been closed for replies.

51 replies

Markus_Krautmacher
April 25, 2022

Hello Ivan,

We did not really find a definive solution for the detaching of text-styles issue – and we used the same remedy as you described and reset text-styles manually.

But, what we found out is, that overriding the styling of multiple variants in a variant set at the same time sometimes causes the text styles to be detached, especially when you have components with nested components.

Also, styling the actual variant set container (we often do dotted borders and background colouring) caused text styles of the variants placed within to be detached.

I am not sure if the Figma team made some changes that better the behaviour in the last months, but paying close attention to text-styles when setting up or re-styling variant sets helped us to work around the issue for now.

Cheers,
Markus

Isabel_Vergara3
May 17, 2022

I’m having this same issue, is there any solution yet?

Camilo_Rocha
May 17, 2022

I’m having the same issue now and then. it’s frustrating 😕

Alex_Pickett
May 17, 2022

Yeah I am also having this issue 😦

Dan_Goodman
May 17, 2022

AHHH FIX THIS PLEASE random detaches are horrible

Cesar1
May 17, 2022

🫥 fix this please x2, it’s a awful experience

Pedro_Gandra
May 18, 2022

Same thing here. What I was able to identify is that when I manually change position of my text object, the text style get instantly detached. I made a video about it.

drive.google.com
Josh
Former Community Manager
May 18, 2022

Hey @Pedro_Gandra thanks for reporting this. We were able to reproduce this on our end and have a fix ready that should be up soon.

Josh
Former Community Manager
May 18, 2022

Alright fix should be live now. Just refresh your tab first. 🙂

Laura_Gonsalves
May 20, 2022

I just experienced this unprecedented issue after publishing variants to my team library. The text styles were attached when I published them 2 days ago. But today I noticed that the text layers in the base components have the styles attached, while the parent components have text layers with detached styles, not to mention they’ve all gone up in weight. All the text layers were affected! This is bad since there are so many people on my team using our library. No one should have to go back and reattach multiple styles. 😑 See screencap below.