SOLVED - Preserve Scroll Position (please roll back the feature)

We need a “Preserve Scroll Position Across Pages” that is separate from the new State Management settings. I don’t want Page A to remember its scroll setting and Page B to remember it’s own different scroll setting, I want Page B to MATCH Page A’s scroll position when I navigate to it.

Expecting users to use a naming convention when it wasn’t required before is not a good practice, and even if the naming convention is followed it doesn’t work as outlined above.

3 Likes

Totally agree with you

2 Likes

There are quite a few incredibly horrible things with this Update. When building frames for a sequence of screens. My agency and practice will Label the screens with an index number so that we can audit and see screen sequences in the layers panel. For example, if I have a login sequence we will name them Login-0.1, Login-0.1.1, Login-0.1.2, and so on and so on. We can no longer do this because all the screens have to have the same name in order for the Scroll position to remain in place. Or add a “/” between a name and an identifier. I can’t tell you how many prototypes are now completely ruined and will require someone to go in and manually correct screen names. And now that all my screens have the same name this makes it more likely that my design team will mess screens up when using the layers panel. HUGE MISTAKE ON THIS UPDATE. Thanks.

4 Likes

I am having the same issue.

In my POC you have to scroll down the web page to see a list of links — each styled as an individual frame. When I hover over the link I just want to show a simple smart-move interaction of the arrow icon in the link. In order for this to work I need the scroll position to stay put.

I have tried removing all of my nested frames so they are all stand-alone with no parent frame (before I had them all grouped in one parent frame like a section). These are not interactive components, not even components. They are just individual frames with a small move that I am trying to POC between two pages of a website on a hover.

As suggested, I renamed the 2 interactive frames that need to show this interaction so that they are named the same and are not sharing names with any other elements on the page. This is confirmed by the UI when I select one the other is highlighted.

And it still does not work.

This is perhaps the most simple type of spot-comp prototype I can imagine.

Please fix this fast or better go back to the what we had.

Please help! We still need the ability to preserve scroll function. This is an important piece of the design puzzle for prototyped components.

1 Like

Yes! I don’t get why they changed it in the first place

Does anyone on the @Figma_Support team even reads these forums? it looks like they’re ignoring this… What needs to happen in order for an issue to be resolved? a certain number of votes? because that’s a bad metric to judge an issue by. Esp one like this that one must purposely google in order to find out that many many other people are having the same issue and it’s not something they did wrong. How many people need to virtually shout at you so you’ll fix such a major issue? I wonder how you people create your prototypes after this change since it takes about 5 seconds of prototyping to see how broken the scroll feature now is…

4 Likes

Related/Not-related. FWIW, I fixed my problem by removing the AutoLayout on my Frame.

1 Like

@Figma_Support do you have any workarounds for us in the meantime, until you fix this?

I’m still running into issues with the latest State Management feature release, also. @Figma_Support Please roll back ‘Preserve Scroll Position’ or fix this issue as soon as possible. The latest change isn’t working as specified within the document as outlined here: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/articles/14397859494295. Thank you!

2 Likes

Please roll back ‘Preserve Scroll Position’! It’s not sustainable to name all the frames the same.

2 Likes

Plus one here please - totally confusing!

1 Like

The scroll portion is maintained only if you have layers named in a specific order.

“Top Frame Name”/“Another Label_1”/“Another Label_2”

If followed the above format for naming the frames it will preserve the scroll position.

Example:
Frame 1: User
Frame 2: User/Add New User
Frame 3: User/Add New User/Check Existing User
Frame 4: User/New User Added

Since all the frames have “User” present in it, now the scroll position will be preserved.

1 Like

This is impractical and I wish people would stop suggesting it a solution. if you’re working on a large project with many frames it’s unreasonable to name frames this way. The solution should be the responsibility of @Figma_Support to roll back to the previous version. not on us to change the way we work.

2 Likes

Totally agree with you!

1 Like

Am i crazy or does this entire new feature just work intermediately whenever it feels like it? Even opening the wrong frames entirely.
Even after editing frame names ?

For example I have a frame (frame / 1) when you click a button it opens an overlay (overlay/1), after delay that navigates to (frame / 2), for some reason instead it navigates to (frame / 1). After changing (frame / 2) name to (TEST_FRAME) it worked just fine and navigated to the right frame (minus keeping the scroll position, because tis not the same naming convention anymore).

However this flaw does not stop there. After changing (TEST_FRAME) to (SC_FRAME) it reverts back to going to (frame / 1 ) after the delay. It makes zero sense, the only thing i consider causing this would be if there was already a (SC_FRAME) naming convention being used somewhere, however there is not at all.

Please let me know if anyone else has encountered these bugs.

2 Likes

Yup, me too

1 Like

Anyway around this that you heard of or tried? I keep on trying to break the bug basically, and its so frustrating when trying to actually test. I loved this product before the change, but it is essentially making things just not useable.

2 Likes

This is so frustrating, I don’t understand why Figma would remove this option?! @Figma_Support is there anyway of getting this crucial option back? I have to present to a Senior Stakeholder tomorrow and this breaks the journey so much by shooting to the top of the page each time a link is clicked

3 Likes

it’s horrible and they don’t seem to care at all. is there anyone else we should be tagging besides @Figma_Support ? I’m sorry about your presentation

1 Like