SOLVED - Preserve Scroll Position (please roll back the feature)

Ok, so I didn’t realize, you have to name the outermost frame, so not any of the frames used in auto-layout, but the frame serving as your actual artboard needs to be named the same. Very confusing. A feature like this never should’ve dropped without a tooltip in the app explaining it very clearly—cause it’s not immediately clear.

2 Likes

I’m still not clear on it at all. Can someone explain what to do here? Mine is still jerking and flickering when i scroll. I’ve tried to email figma but no reply

1 Like

Same issue here. Why would you change something that clearly allowed you to “do the thing” Now I can get this stupid prototype to work!!!

1 Like

So turns out the “parent” frames just need to be named the same to preserve the scroll position.

1 Like

Having this issue too, it’s sort of broken my entire system and made it very difficult to use, despite it working before the update. “Reset scroll position” is unchecked, so why on earth is it resetting?! Extremely frustrating. Please fix this ASAP @Figma_Support

3 Likes

Considering I have around 1000 frames using popovers, renaming every single one really ISNT AN OPTION FIGMA.

For real? This is a MAJOR headache - if it wasn’t broke dont fix it@!!

4 Likes

me too. I opened a prototype from before and now the tab control I create out of two buttons moves and visually switches correctly, but the scroll position “keep” doesn’t work no matter if the new reset is on or off. It just always scrolls to the top of the screen. In fact it’s even worse now, because if you scroll to two different positions on each page, e.g. MODEL and ACTOR (the items in the tabs) then each page moves to it’s memorised scroll position, instead of “transferring” the scroll position from the current page to the next page. What is up with this?

2 Likes

Same issue, while all the namings are correct and matching.
Sometimes it does not reset the position completely, but jumps up or down by a few centimeters.

2 Likes

So this is a nice idea to save setting one checkmark - but then it does not work properly, because now I have to first prototype all frames so I can see the correct name in the interaction-dropdown and then name all frames the same just to preserve scroll position. I would rather have to set the checkmark each time, then loosing all my titles in the prototype and then having to guess which frame is which in the ‘navigate to’ dropdown.
Please undo this update or find a solution to fix it again.

4 Likes

Totally agree with you, it makes no sense naming all frames the same

Bring back the checkbox!

4 Likes

Hi all,

• Thank you for all your feedback, we will pass along to our team! It would help us to investigate further if you can reach out our technical team and share your file : here .
    Please also make sure to use your Figma account email, including a link to the file, and share it with support-share@figma.com as an editor on this file so the team can take a look.
  • Please first try this workaround before reaching out the team here. As reminder, the issues are mainly related to the limitations with the new State management for prototypes update.
    For most users, this is because the layers do not share matching names. In order for top level frames to share scroll state, they need to have matching names according to this rule .
    => Tips: for the frame naming, you can have different names but need to be identical before the ‘/’. (cf. screenshot)

• I also switched the topic as “Idea” - feedback", feel free to vote up so we can gauge the overall feedback from this new feature :arrow_up:, and edited the title as “Preserve Scroll Position - (please roll back the feature)”.

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure why this was changed. This is very confusing. Can you please put it back to how it was? Preserve Scroll Position in the Prototype menu? Or please provide a video explaining how to get the same expectation.
When I select fixed the object disappears :frowning:
IS there a video explaining how to make this work?

5 Likes

Can some please explain how to Preserve Scroll Position in a Prototype. In bullet points or some form of step by step process? I have wasted hours trying to figure this out. Thank you!

2 Likes

Just adding my name to this list here! Figma, we NEED the preserve scroll position as an easy add. I got the frame renaming to work but this is such a silly thing! It takes much more effort to organize multiple frames using almost identical names (and having to RENAME things) than to click or unclick a box! I appreciate you all wanting this to be automatic but then just make it automatic without the frames needing the same names! Otherwise, the box was much more convenient.

6 Likes

Why is this not working anymore??? Very frustrating!

4 Likes

I too am having trouble!

4 Likes

Hello! I am new to figma and completed my first prototype about a month ago. I just tried to work on it and discovered the same issue. so i updated all the frames to have the same name. My issue is that my screens have back and next buttons, but it depends on the user flow… they need variants. I don’t know how to resolve this except trying the main frame name with a variation indicated by a forward slash ‘mainframe / variant 1’ if I am understanding correctly.

2 Likes

Really dig the shift to automatic scroll position retention, however naming frames the same thing is totally unsustainable.

• Frame names are used to communicate state changes to our dev team
  • Frame names are used to search for unique states in our Figma files
  • Frame names are used to ensure exporting full flows is possible without saving over other exports.
  • Frame names are matched to labeled flow diagrams and now that’s impossible and prototypes are broken.

Please please revert to allow for differing names. Thanks!

7 Likes

I just noticed the vote Button is at the top of this page. Rock the VOTE! Roll Back the Feature!

4 Likes

Hi All,

I received a response from support, but unfortunately, it doesn’t address the issue with the frame naming convention. However, the explanation provided has given me a better understanding of how to accomplish my goals. I hope this helps some of you.

“Please make sure that the top frame’s names match? In order for top level frames to share scroll state, they need to have matching names according to [this rule]”

1 Like