Customizable shortcuts

Same in Spanish ISO keyboard on WIndows, most of the shortcuts won’t work.

FYI on my french AZERTY keyboard I found that Bring to Front is key “^”
and Send to Back is “)”
They work in combination with Ctrl for adjusting z-index.

On a german keyboard (mac) these seem to work:

Send to back: ü
Send backward: cmd + ü

But, does anyone know to bring elements forward? :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I’m also struggling with a German keyboard layout (MacOS). Please Figma, find a way to translate and / or customise shortcuts for non-US keyboard users. It is big usability issue, and a company that is literally creating products for UX people should really get this right. Adjusting shortcuts in apple system preferences is too cumbersome and also messes up other existing shortcuts easily. However, what works for me at the moment is to switch my keyboard settings to US, while using a German qwertz keyboard. This obviously messes up any text writing tasks (unless you switch back again), and you have to guess / learn the keys- but you can actually access all (or most of, haven’t tested everything) important shortcuts this way.

3 Likes

+1 for German keyboard

1 Like

Still not working on a german keyboard (Keychron K4) german keyboard - English interface.
Drives me absolutely bonkers.

1 Like

Hey All,

Thank you for your feedback and we hear you!

We’ve updated this topic to a feature request, as it’s not actually a bug. Please note that we already have an existing thread for customizable shortcuts here:

Feel free to add your votes there, but please note that we intend to merge the replies under this thread with the existing topic in the next few days. With a single source of truth, our team will be able to better prioritize a new approach to shortcuts.

When trying to hit ctrl+TAB and ctrl+E and ctrl+A and i accidentally hit ctrl+Q which closes the workspace.

As a windows user, i don’t need or want a keyboard shortcut to close the app at all. That is what alt+F4 does if you want it.

Please allow us to disable this shortcut.

Figma doesn’t support ALT + F4 to close the program, however its a standard on Windows Programs.
Figma support informed me that instead of ALT + F4, we can use CTRL + Q to quit the app.
It works however its annoying to have special shortcuts just for one program.
So I am sharing the idea that Figma allows closing the app using ALT + F4 (as its expected from all apps in windows) instead of CTRL + Q.

To windows users: Am I only one who find this annoying or everyone is facing this?

Frequently, I break a text style only to manually reset it to Line Height: Auto.
A button or modifier+click would be a welcome shortcut.

Is this a question or a tutorial :grinning: :grinning:

For Windows users, this is a game changer I just discovered!

I have successfully customized shortcuts for over a dozen different applications on the Mac using the built in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts. I have used this feature for many, many years. Figma is the first app that does not acknowledge these customized shortcuts. I am new to Figma but have used the Mac forever. What is Figma’s rationale for not supporting this otherwise universal feature?

To be clear, I am attempting this using the Figma Application (not a browser).

The fact that you can’t use the Mac’s built-in keyboard shortcut customizations is incomprehensible to me (System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts). There is zero excuse, IMAO.

1 Like

I use Auto Hotkey, and i made shitloads of custom shortcuts that automatically type in the commands in Figma’s built in search command tool.

That fact that there is STILL no way to modify shortcuts is absolutely infuriating

1 Like

While browsing for the shortcuts for the AZERTY french keyboard, I have crossed some weird unaccuracies for some of them. In some indications , they tell me to use “|”, “`”, “@” keys. But these keys are weird to reach and use when on a french AZERTY keyboard layout; to use them, we have to hit “AltGr” first. And somehow, Figma doesn’t understand my actions.
I may be a lone case, in which case I apologize for this useless topic. But if I am not, I would like suggest to set the default use / AltGr-less use of these aforementioned keys instead:
| becomes -,
` becomes è,
@ becomes à.

And for future shortcuts, here are the keys which may produce the same confusion:
~ becomes é,
# becomes ",
{ becomes ',
[ becomes (,
] becomes ),
} becomes =.

Can we have keyboard shortcuts for boolean groups?

Recently i created an icon library in figma and found it stressful to use boolean groups by going the top to use it as i had as much as 1000+ icons i tried to apply them on.

Btw you can check out the icon library here

1 Like

you’re not alone. ctrl+q is a global mac command, but not common on windows. i think it’s annoying because it is too close to ctrl+A

1 Like

So this has been highlighted as an important enhancement for user productivity for 2.5 years, are we to assume customizable keyboard shortcuts will never be implemented?

It is such a core feature to enhance productivity that it’s ridiculous that it’s missing from what an industry-leading design production tool.

2 Likes

Step 1. Write an actual application instead of a browser app.
Step 2. Publish it.

1 Like