Connect or embed FigJam files with Figma files

+1000

As a designer, I’m often in my figma file working on something - and realize I need to step back and do higher level visual thinking where FigJam is the better tool. ie: I realize I’m making too many assumptions, and I should think through the users journey or flow better. I want to be able to just + create fig jam → opens up a related fig jam file → do my diagraming/workflowing → and then it embeds a widget/preview of that file in the original figma file so that I can easily hop back into the fig jam file for reference later.

It’s conceptually like creating a new Dropbox paper document by typing “+document title”. Links ideas, thinking, between documents.

1 Like

We love FigJams. Especially when involving the rest of the business in workshops, retros, and getting copy in situ. But we like to keep all our research, user flows, playgrounds, and specs in one file.

It would be awesome to have the option of new pages being FigJams!

4 Likes

Yes please!

FigJam boards are a great environment to collect research and brainstorm with peers. However, we lose all that convenience and content when we need to create a Figma file to begin the work.

FigJam boards about be a page option in Figma files, so that you can keep all the relevant and arguably most important project information in the same place you will be designing in, not in a separate document.

1. Describe the problem your experiencing and how your idea helps solve this

I find it a bit distracting to navigates between a design page and a figjam page that belongs to the same project. It’ll be great if users can add figjam pages in design pages… that way, everything from Discivery to Prototyping can be found in a single document …. Consolidated.

1. Add as much context as possible (screenshots, Figma files, mockups, etc.)

2. Ask questions to bring the community into the conversation
    (e.g. Does anyone else experience this? Is anyone using a plugin or workaround to help solve this?, etc.
    Does anyone find it disorienting when you have to look for assets (design file and whiteboard file) belonging to a single project in multiple locations?

I think it would be nice to have Fig Jam as a page selection in projects.

For example My team would like to use fig jam to research and spitball ideas at the beginning of a project then add another page for the Figma board to begin building comps/prototypes. We just want to keep them together.

1 Like

We want to use FigJam for our project.
FigJam is a powerful feature for designers and PMs.
But, it is not good to use because there is no function of Inspect for developers to use.
And since Figma Design File and FigJam are separated, they cannot be managed in one space.
The basic functions found in Figma Design File are also required by FigJam.

We need this feature.

• Ability to add FigJam to Figma Design Page
  • Inspect function to see information and values of Component or Instance
3 Likes

Big + for embedding in some way, making a Jam part of Figma, or adding the components of FigJam into the component list of Figma so we can jam in Figma files.

If we have to get out of a context of a Figma file anyway, what’s the benefit of FigJam over Miro or other products?

3 Likes

Usually, the first phase of my design work for a project or feature is a “discovery/exploration” phase where I’m gathering input from the larger team and gathering inspiration onto a FigJam board. I’d love for that FigJam board to simply exist as a page in my main Figma Design File.

3 Likes

Exactly, I want both formats to exist within the same file type so everything can be contained at a single location as opposed to creating different files for the same project or ticket.

I use to use Axure and really miss being able to reference a design in a flow diagram created in the same Axure file. If I updated the design, that updated would be reflected in the flow diagram. (Not part of this topic but I also found being able to link between pages in Axure very helpful.)

2 Likes

In my design process, I usually make my research and take my notes in a FigJam file before making tests and explorations in mockups in a Figma file.
I feel more comfortable making my research notes and brainstorming in FigJam, and what usually happens is that when I move to the mockup iterations, I copy the work I’ve done in FigJam, paste it into a Figma design page, and then delete the FigJam file.
It would be beneficial in my process if it was possible to create a FigJam page inside the Figma design file, so every process would correctly be in its own environment and inside of one single file

1 Like

Please vote for this idea here: https://forum.figma.com/t/feature-idea-figjam-inside-of-figma-project-files/4427.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of this feedback! We’re considering some new functionality that will allow you to keep your FigJam files alongside your work in Figma. In the next few weeks, we’re running an invite-only beta and would love folks from this thread to participate and share feedback on the experience.

You can learn more and sign up here: Help us bring Figma + FigJam closer together! | Great Question

2 Likes

Came here to add this idea myself and very glad it has already been added! It would be fantastic if a FigJam file could be just a page in Figma files to make the process smoother :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Connecting a Figma design file to a FigJam file would be immensely aid comms between UXR, design and wider stakeholders.

Typically flow:

1. Outline the flow or journey in FigJam
  2. Propose some information architecture in FigJam
  3. Start concept work in Figma from the flow
  4. Start detailed design work in Figma

In steps 3 and 4, the UI designers are cross-referencing the flows in FigJam, so having them linked would be amazing for real time updates.

3 Likes

Hi Vanessa,

Is there anywhere we can learn about the functionality being considered and outcome of the beta?

1 Like

Amen to that! Creating a fig jam page inside a Figma file would be amazing!

As a designer, I’d like to create a FigJam as a page inside my Figma project so that I don’t have to jump between two files all the time.

15 Likes

In deed. I’d support this as well.

BTW It might be the case that the products stay separated because in the future you would need to pay two licenses.

1 Like