Reorder variable collections list

Same issue here. Added a new color collection for a partner and now it’s the first thing you see when you pick a fill/stroke :roll_eyes:

Same here! Reorder and hide are very much needed!

2 Likes

Encountered this issue awhile back and it still has not been fixed till date… it has been a huge pain especially for colours when it comes to management of the design system using variables.

The unintended colours (i.e. global colours) move to the top when published and there is no way or possible workaround to reorder it.

I have tried numbering and using alphabets to reorder the variable tabs but to no avail.

:fire::fire::fire: Hope the Figma team comes through for us as always and fixes this! :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

Any update on this? I wanted to rearrange my colors so that I could find colors easily from the library but I’m finding no option to do so. It’s such a pain searching for the colors scrolling all the way down or even typing it which should be closer to the top of the scroll.

Hey Josh, any updates on this? There’s been a lot of interest since July, and its a real pain point. Just on my team (a small one) our variables menu is opened 100+ times per day per person, which means this annoyance happens for our team over 1,000 times per day. Hope you can pass on this continued sentiment to the variables team. Thanks!

1 Like

Bumping. Any updates with this? It’s made designing at least twice as longer, and now requires so much keystrokes to find the color I need when it just took a mouse click before :weary:

2 Likes

Another must have, also everyone please upvote copy/move groups into other collections. Thanks

2 Likes

We desperately need some way to sort variables. Ideally they’d respect the order from the local variables panel. Having them sort by creation date is really going to hinder our adoption of tokens. This is critical.

3 Likes

Having the same issue, I created the primitives before the tokens (which is logical lol) so now I’m stuck with the way they are displayed in all of my files…

We definitely need a fix for that please Figma :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

I think I found a solution for that problem – in the Local variables menu you can drag and drop the single variables and they’ll appear in that order once you open the color list. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Yeah, this has been quite the annoyance. I don’t need the primitives first. Leads to so much unnecessary scrolling

1 Like

Please fix this, we need to be able to reorder collections. Thanks

2 Likes

A link to that Share topic would have been helpful Josh.

1 Like

This is the topic. I just mentioned that I updated the category to “Share an idea” so that it can be voted on.

3 Likes

Thanks Josh! I can’t wait until we can reorder them! My product designers hate me :sob: Hahaha.

1 Like

This is seriously upsetting after spending so much time setting these up only to find that you can’t reorder collections. It’s not like Tokens Studio where you can at least copy paste the code or Invision DSM where you can edit the json file. I might just have to delete the new collection of variables and themes and start over in the main collection. Thankfully I didn’t map all the components to these yet.

What a disappointment. Got a quarter of the way through bringing our new color library over to variables then had to check how to re-order the collections… back to styles I guess… face palm.

Each day to navigate to the correct variable in the right collection wastes my time. Please add sort controls to speed up my work.

And please make the variables drop-down panel wider, and longer, and keyboard shortcuts as well. I am grateful Figma has given us variable functionality, BUT please develop an entire set of controls for this wonderful feature will be gratefully enjoyed!

I am unable to find or navigate to the current style in components. It always starts from the top, and I have to scroll through all the styles to identify the current one. I’m not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

I need to go back to the old one.

I had the same problem! But then I realized that if you change the name of the collection, they will re-ordered. I imaging they are sort by modified date…

So… I had created first the primitives, and after my tokens. But when I changed the name collection from “tokens” to “color-tokens”, the last ones are now first. Now, when I use them in the picker, I have the tokens first :muscle:

1 Like