Move a page from one Figma file to another

Pretty simple ask: I want to move a page from one Figma to another. I don’t see a way to do it.
Select All + Cut + Paste is not a good solution as I might have locked objects that don’t come with the copy and there might be properties set on the page (background color, etc.) that I might lose.

37 Likes

What you are describing isn’t possible. When you press Cmd/Ctrl + A to select all objects, locked and invisible objects will also be included, so that’s not a problem. And saving background color is a matter of copy-pasting too.

4 Likes

Yeah but all comments and prototype links are lost. I realize prototype links are copied if I’m in Prototype mode but comments are a big deal when you’re working at a large enterprise…

11 Likes

Comments are strictly tied to the file they are in. Even if you duplicate the file, it will not copy the comments. There are a lot of problems Figma team would need to solve in order to make it possible to move comments, e.g. what happens if your comment is moved to the file you don’t have access to? Will you be able to respond again? Will you be able to see the comment at all? etc.

7 Likes

@Gleb Comments aside, copying a complete page with all of its “pageness” to another file would be more intuitive, less effort, and is something I’m expecting to be able to do coming from Sketch. Please consider.

19 Likes

I don’t work at Figma. Feel free to create a new topic in #product-ideas so people can vote for it and maybe Figma team will consider it if there is enough interest.

4 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks, @Gleb

1 Like

Does it copy prototype links?

1 Like

I reaaaally need this, or a better way to manage my work. I currently work in sprints - one page for each sprint item. It’d be great to be able to have one file for “Work In Progress” and one for “Archive”. Then, once a sprint item is completed, I can move that entire page to the “Archive” folder for future reference. With my current workflow otherwise, I’m going to have a huge list of archived pages from completed sprints.

22 Likes

I totally agree with @Nick_Baxter, I really need this too. It’s not even possible to duplicate it in a new file it really bugs me.

It would be also great to have a setting where we can make it possible to duplicate the prototype and use the components of the new file instead of linking to the old one while keeping the interactions.

6 Likes

Same here… got a problem with it.
Have to copy elements from couple of pages to new files & got stuck with it couple of times.
Needed manually copy paste everting… it’s sooo time consuming.

It would be nice to have the feature when you can copy the whole page or selected pages with all their content inside to another file.

Also if you could select a pages that can be shared so you won’t need to share the whole file but only selected elements.

2 Likes

Need this too. When I copy paste frames from one Figma file to another too many things go wrong. Images aren’t copied and all sorts of other layer issues. Import/Export would be great.

3 Likes

Agree with the people above requesting such a simple feature to reorganize work

2 Likes

After using Figma intensively for a few months, this is one of my top new features I would like to see added.

8 Likes

Copying stuff into other files messes with the styles. You basically end up with a local styles and the shared styles

1 Like

I need this too. I use pages to spec out each JIRA story with design. I want to archive them once they are implemented.

2 Likes

Casually :heavy_plus_sign::one:ing this.

It’s a bit surprising that so few folks have commented here.

2 Likes

+1 on ability to move pages within files.

2 Likes

+1 - it’s weird how some of the most basic things are not possible :slight_smile:

4 Likes

+1 I’m working on a design system. So components & templates become invisible to other files when moving them from the design system file. this is really needed.