How can I un-component a component?

i feel like i am going insane but i cannot find the solution to this. once i create a component i cannot undo this. i can only detach instances of a component

i already uninstalled all plugins and reproduced it in a new file. am i missing somthing glaring obvious?

27 Likes

Detach instance and delete the component.

12 Likes

so you are saying it is not possible to convert a component back?

15 Likes

Yes exactly.
https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038665754-Detach-an-instance-from-the-component#Keyboard_shortcuts

20 Likes

I know how to detatch an instance. I wrote that in my first statement.

15 Likes

I feel your pain. This is such a simple function and yet they make it so amazingly complicated. I find the same nonsense with adding a simple border to an object. They have 400 ways to shade the color of a box, but not even 1 simple option for drawing a line around the box. I get the feeling the Figma designers don’t ever use their product.

42 Likes

I get it, I miss these options as well. I dont think they use it at all though.

2 Likes

There’s a plugin called Detach Master, if that’s what you mean?

57 Likes

Thank you so much.

Make a copy, detach it from the original, delete the original.

20 Likes

WOOOOOOWW! Thank yooou! <3

1 Like

You are Goddess!!

1 Like

Thanksss thankss lot of thankssssssssss

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

That’s a little bit insane. You can un-group a Group, anytime, but you cannot un-componentize a Component after it has existed for a while?

5 Likes

This is so stupid. Please make it an option in right click to undo a main component and revert it into a group or whatever it was previous to becoming a main component!

22 Likes

i wholeheartedly agree… i was stuck on this for a bit

1 Like

In so much time i don’t felt this happiness

1 Like

This is how I fixed it! Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for this.