Give unique access to specific pages

Great idea as well!!

Agree that this would be a great feature. Would appreciate separation of page permissions so that you can separate wireframes that are ready for client review & hide other pages of ideation & WIP (that you don’t want the client to yet see)

Yes, this would be so helpful!

I am trying to recreate what I could do in Sketch/InVision. Where I would submit screens to InVision, from there I could select a group of pages for a particular request and get a link where the viewer would only be able to view those selected pages, and not have to see all the others.

In Figma, let’s say I have 30 frames on a single page, I have a design solution that is shown on just 5 of those frames. I would like a way to select those 5 frames and share a link where the viewer (PO or Dev) only sees those 5 frames and not the other 25.

The only solution I have come across is by making those 5 frames at the top of the hierarchy so when sharing prototype view its the first screens seen. BUT that doesn’t have the inspect features when I do that.

1 Like

This is absolutely necessary, I had to pay inVision for my last project just because Figma lacks this feature. I shared with the client the prototype and no one in that team could figure out how to add comments and all of them navigated to other pages that weren’t part of that specific design discussion, it was a mess.

1 Like

The company I’m working for is using Sketch and Invision to share documents, they showed me in Sketch their file with all the workings, inspiration screenshots and the final artboard where the design is coming together.

They then upload this to Invision to show the clients for approval, apparently if the artboard/frame name includes a dash - at the beginning, Invision ignores this and just previews the rest. They have all their workings and inspiration boards named with a dash at the beginning so they aren’t seen by clients.

Figma needs something like this, the share button is so quick and easy with Figma but you don’t want clients seeing unnecessary items. I know this can be done by hiding every element that isn’t to be shared, but this takes a lot of time to hide them all.

The visual that @Ivan_Cucer showcased above is great!

2 Likes

This is a real pain point and frustration for me using Figma from years in Sketch and Invision. Having clean, organised files to share with clients without unnecessary working unfinished pages is essential. I am really struggling to work out a process. Clients don’t have the time to understand or learn how to use Figma. They need a simplified view - a curated view. I am tempted to have to export all my visual work individually to Invision, but that is a long-winded process unlike in Sketch where you have a plugin to export directly to Invision. Is there any way around this apart from creating multiple files of ‘finished’ work to share with clients?

2 Likes

Clients don’t have the time to understand or learn how to use Figma. They need a simplified view - a curated view.

Well said @Karen_Beal

3 Likes

I agree with all the comments here. My team is considering switching from Sketch to Figma, but the lack of this feature might be a deal breaker. Especially with respect to agile dev process, I need to be able to link to a specific artboard to communicate design solutions to clients. My guess is that they would be overwhelmed by the Figma interface. Also, I would have to spend more time documenting my Figma file to make sure that clients can find things.

2 Likes

I also agree with what has been said here.
I’m still using the InVision website for screendesign presentation and exchanging feedback comments with clients.
It’s easy to use but very time consuming to set up and update all the InVision projects.
And from what I remember InVision as of now doesn’t really offer more features than what I’ve used back in 2014. So honestly, I’m not thinking InVision will stay there for much longer to be a suitable workaround. However I really like the ability to have some control over what people can or cannot see. That’s what Figma is lacking right now.

At the current state I don’t want to send out Figma links to clients because of unnecessary obstacles for them. Also I want to keep work in progress and myself working on stuff hidden from their eyes.
Imagine having a client sitting behind you randomly throughout the day and he just stares at your screen while you’re working. That’s terrifying, isn’t it?

2 Likes

@anon21722796 When can we expect this?

3 Likes

@anon21722796 Can you please add this feature to your New-Year’s resolutions? Since Zeplin is changing there pricing plan, we’ll need to find an other developer-hand-off tool. Figma would do this perfectly if only we had the option hide some pages for those with only viewing access.

3 Likes

+1
For me, I have a master file that contains a lot of my “pages” which are irrelevant to designers that are assisting with the project. If I hire a remote designer to help with ‘xyz’ then I want to give that designer access to ONLY that page, and nothing else. Privacy content and other stuff that I’m not too eager for this contractor to get access to. This feature will be great for agency or startups too, not just internal teams with stakeholders.

Please @anon21722796 is this something you’ll be working on?

Thank you!

@anon21722796 Can you please add this feature this year?

As a designer I regularly run into a situation where I discussed designs with the team and start working on iterations on a new page in the same document. I want to be able to hide that page from team members until I am ready to discuss it again.

Often after I discussed designs team members start watching new iterations. That to me feels intrusive. My work around is copy everything to a new document. And copy paste it back into the original document when I am ready to discuss it with the team.

So being able to hide/unhide a page would be a perfect solution for me.

Cheers,
Martin

1 Like

I’m quite surprised that this isn’t a feature already.

Is it in the backlog or on the roadmap @anon21722796?

@anon21722796 this would be very, very helpful!!!

After many years I’m about to switch from Sketch+inVision to Figma. I was able to determine exactly what to publish on inVision (version/handoff for implementation or just a presentation for a marketing department).
I consciously want to show decision-makers (management, marketing) only what is necessary to save their time and not create confusion. Decision-makers also do not need any insight into components and other assets.

I was very surprised that there is still no function in Figma to simply mark a page as hidden for others.

2 Likes

Hey all! I have an option for this workflow, and would love to hear what you all think.

As many of you pointed out, you can copy a Figma link that points to a specific area:

• The entire Figma file
  • A page in a file
    copy-link-to-page
  • A prototype in the file
  • A specific frame in the file (this include frames within frames)

Once you have the link, you can embed that link into any browser-based tool as a live preview. I walk through this exact workflow in this video (timestamped at 28:20). Some key callouts:

• If you paste the link to the page inside a doc, while it will the land on the page, the viewer will still be able to view other pages. I’m not sure if this was intended, and I will look into this more.
  • However if you link just the frame, the embed will only give the viewer access to the single frame. They will not be able to see anything else in the embed except the frame. Let’s say you have a flow of screens, you can embed each screen as a single frame in the doc and lay it out in the doc for your audience. I favor this flow because it doesn’t force a stakeholder to enter a Figma file to view the screens. Perhaps they are more comfortable in their own tool of choice. Meanwhile, any updates you make to the screen will update live in the embed as well.

A workflow I didn’t cover in the video is to embed into a FigJam file. Taking that same example, I might embed a single Figma frame into a FigJam, where I’ll string together a series of screens to represent a flow. This workflow can be nice if you want to invite feedback in the form of stickies, stickers, etc.

If you have a ton of screens you have to share, I understand this isn’t ideal to get a link for every frame. In the same video, Kelly shared a shortcut that can make it a bit faster to grab those links if you’re using the desktop app (timestamped 12:26).

I know the team is thinking heavily on this problem, but I hope this workflow can help in the interim. Thanks for chiming in everyone!

5 Likes

Love the collaboration level here on Figma. But when working with Clients / Developers I like to reveal my designs piece by piece as it’s ready. Otherwise it causes confusion and unnecessary explanation of “why this design doesnt work” even if I wasn’t planning to share it with client.

I wish there was a way you can “reveal” a page once you’re ready or make an artboard “public” when it’s ready to be reviewed.

7 Likes
  1. There are lots of times where there are multiple pages in the file but when there is a review not all the pages need to be seen. Sometimes it’s research pages, inside information pages or work that are still in the process and do not want to reveal them yet.

2. Has anyone else experienced the need for this? Do you think adding an option to hide pages is relevant?

3 Likes