Filter Layers in Layer list

It there a possibility to search and filter for Layer names in the layers/page list? If not implement this soon please.

I can do this in assets but why not in layers?

9 Likes

Sometimes it would be helpful to be able to search by name or layer type.

Something like this:

What you see at the beginning:

What you see when you type something in the search engine:
figma-feedbackMesa de trabajo 1 copia

1 Like

Not just sometimes!
This would be something useful all the time - great for finding when you’ve been lazy and haven’t named things properly, but also when there are hidden layers, stray layers and generally just for finding layers quickly

1 Like

3 Likes

With options to filter by layer type as well

3 Likes

OMG yes please :pray:t3: Almost daily I instinctively look for the searh input from the Layers-panel, and am low-key disappointed for a second, when it’s not there like in “Assets” :confused:

Love your suggested design for this @Richard_Earney . Hopefully some day…

2 Likes

Definitely a useful feature, one that I used frequently in Sketch. Especially the ability to filter by type - slices get lost amongst all the other elements when their purpose is really quite different.

1 Like

It will be great if we can search a frame in a project.
We can optimize template searching in our Design System

1 Like

Looking for a way to quickly Find / Filter / Jump to a Layer or Frame as well.

why has this so few votes. this is badly needed and likely trivial to implement :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I was kinda shocked when the ‘web inspired’ Figma had no built-in layer search/filtering.

Some of the things missing from Figma after so long still mystify me — guess I end up assuming it might be a technical limitation in their WebAssembly approach.

…but then, the things that don’t seem to get much support in the community make me wonder, how much the user base might be skewed by the free tier (and maybe so much focus on mobile apps)? :thinking:

Is it really possible a lot of users just aren’t coming up against obstacles the Sketch community dealt with long ago…?

How could basics like spell check, layer search, text search (+ replace), and often really slow plugin performance, still not get attention — are not enough users complaining?

It’s a pity Sketch and XD aren’t more competitive — it feels like Figma needs to feel the pressure a bit more, but their finding mismatch means they just continue to roll over the top of Sketch, which feels like a bit of a pity for the pace of improvement.

…but maybe (probably) I’m just being too impatient! :smile:

1 Like

Agreed, filtering the layers panel would be super helpful and save a lot of time. Thanks

+1
I also find it strange why we cannot have a simple layer search field. This seem such a basic feature to me, why would I have to install a plugin for that.
A plugin requires me to go to the Plugins menu, remember the name of the plugin, find the plugin, click it and only then I’m at this point of typing something into a search field. This should be easier with the addition of a permanent search field to the layers list, shouldn’t it?

I have the same feeling, it’s such an obvious feature, I contacted support when I didn’t find it because I couldn’t believe it can really miss search, and they suggested me to use plugin for that :sweat_smile: It kind of solves it but it’s pretty inconvenient to do it this way (open resources > go to plugins > find a plugin > set up a plugin > finally search VS just search in a layer panel).

1 Like

This was a basic function in Sketch and I look for and remember it’s not there daily.