Figma Helper (Renderer) is using excessive memory, why?

Hello,

Is there any update on this? my topic was closed so I was hoping this memory leak is being investigated…

I haven’t had any resolution yet as I mentioned in my last post. I’ve been trying to diagnose & resolve the issue with Figma since originally posting in June, but we never came to a conclusion and now it appears the developer I was working with has left the company.

So unfortunately, no, we don’t have a solution yet, but I’m not giving up and I will keep this thread active in hopes we can get it resolved.

Hello everyone! I have the same problem and have no solution from figma help. But! I have my own solution! I found out that Memory grow depends of Internet speed! If i turn off my internet connection while figma project loads, RAM grow stops too!!! I think it depends of lots of saves or copies in cloud. Please check it out on your PC

1 Like

I think it’s a feature, not a bug /s

iu

This is definitely network related good spotting. @Sergey_Fomichev
But what i’m weirdly not understanding is that even if I’m not doing anything it keeps growing until It stops to grow.

Not wanting to solutionise but I looks like there is some sort of loop somewhere in the network that causes to increase the memory use to a certain point.
And that is directly related to the number of tabs open in the app.

This is observed in both the app and browser client with a single file open

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 15.51.56

2 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed is that now the app uses a ton of animations for everything, even for opening a file.
I think there might be something to do with that?

There’s a new beta released today 102.9, feels a little bit snappier, but too soon to tell.

Seems initial loading animations have been modified to mitigate RAM usage.

Did not change much for me…

Same, still need to close tabs…

I have the same and with Only ONE tab) Just a big project

I can confirm that this issue occurs for me on both, Linux and MacOS.
On Linux, it eats up all 8 GB of my laptop’s RAM and it does the same on MacOS. (16 GB of RAM!)

Figma team, could you please take a look at this bug?
The product is unusable!

1 Like

Same, now it’s even worse, latest version is using over 12GB of RAM…

not sure what has changed but I’m now back to 200MB
Is it the same for you??

No change for me EdwardB, if anything it has gotten worse. My Mac has 16GB of RAM as specified in my original post and Figma occupies 12-16GB very consistently, regardless of how many files / tabs I may have open.

I’ve realised that using sensei (a mac app) to monitor the Mac and I delete the figma daemon that starts when your Mac starts and since it’s not using the memory, not sure if this might be the cause but so far I have 10 tabs and no memory overuse*emphasized text

Did not fix actually. Still the same issue

Can confirm - Figma is unusable due to this issue on Firefox or Chrome or Linux App. RAM usage goes upto 14GB.

2 Likes

@poiru @raquino ?

I’m on release 104.1 now, memory consumption is still incredibly high but it is at least more usable than before. However I have numerous large projects I need to jump between and I frequently will have to reload tabs or close the project and reopen because it has become completely unresponsive.

I also have the same issue. I’ve been trying many different things, like having just one file opened, etc.

The thing that seems to work temporarily is to force quit the app and reopen it. That’s the only way I can use the app without having the issue happen again. Sad. :tired_face:

I’m running version 104.1 on macOS Mojave - Macbook Pro Core I7 2.8 GH + 16 Gb RAM.

Several weeks ago I didn’t have this problem anymore (I think…). I reviewed my internet speed connection and I noticed that there was a problem with that. So I fixed it from the router settings (I just switch on / off / on 4G and 5G settings). Also I updated a little bit Mac version with the last update.

In addition (and this is not spam) I started to use another browser-based in chromium call sidekick, it helps me at work, and Brave for my personal searches.

Now I’m able to have several windows open and have video calls as well with the Figma desktop app open at the same time.