Feature request (or bug?): create element directly above current selection

I’m surprised I’m only finding a couple of old threads about this issue — as I’m getting more used to Figma (coming from XD), it’s driving me nuts.

Scenario: I’ve created a layer group and am building elements inside that group. I need to draw a rectangle in a particular spot.

Expected behavior: I’m working in the group right now, it is implied that I want the rectangle to be there, either right above whatever I have selected or at the top of that group’s layers (as XD does).

Actual behavior: The new rectangle is at the top of the Frame’s layers instead. If I wanted that, I could easily have clicked outside of the group. The end result is that for every single element that I create, I have to:

1. Create the element
  2. Cut the element, then click back into my group, then paste it (or just drag it in the Layers palette, but that’s not feasible in a sufficiently complex doc)
  3. Reposition the element, even though I may have already positioned it exactly as I wanted it when I created it

I don’t see the logic in the current implementation, but at the very least a key command could be added for the desired behavior, i.e., hold Command/Control while drawing a rect or clicking with the Text tool to place that element directly above the selection.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.