Enable Assets search only for enabled libraries

I’m managing multiple design libraries as we move through new app versions, so I can iterate through each update but still keep old components linked to old design libraries. However, asset search which is the primary method we use to quickly grab the components we need is becoming pretty much useless because it’s showing results from libraries that are toggled off or “archived” internally.

It would be amazing if Figma could provide us options to search only libraries we have enabled, and show us which library our components search results belong to.

1 Like

Shocked that Figma hasn’t spotted this “All libraries by default” issue themselves - please, please prioritise this!! (seriously) Our UX/Design team wasted hours trying to figure out this misperceived “bug” in our Design System, it directly undermines the architecture of any multiple-design-systems setup. I’m a big Figma fan/advocate, but if another tool arrived that could match Figma and solved for this issue then I’d bounce the org over to that tool. It’s not the expected behaviour (from a user lens) and usually Figma never drop the ball like that.

2 Likes

Adding myself to the discussion that this feature is needed and I hope they don’t hide this feature behind some plans. It’s already frustrating enough you can’t do a library analytics unless you use Organization Plan (the most expensive).

Both features should be given and not blocked by some paywall. Keeping tracking of changes in the library is hard enough.

If developers can keep track of files changed, deleted, and added for free using Git, why shouldn’t designers be able to for free?

1 Like

Same from our perspective. We are working in an agency model where we’re handling multiple libraries for multiple clients at once. Not being able to filter out the results ofter results in placing components that should simply not go into a specific file.

We have the same problem and just found out that there are a lot of assets from different libraries because our colleagues didn’t know that they were using other assets than the ones from our own library. This is a major problem, especially for bigger teams like ours!!

Same here, it’s super annoying to find out people use the wrong components ! you have to waste time cleaning everything up later

1 Like

This is a major functionality issue that needs to be addressed.

I thought I was doing something wrong, and am shocked that this is just how it works. A major major flaw, we basically cannot use the search bar at all.

2 Likes

Echoing this issue for prosperity in the hopes that Figma will address this. Upgraded to a new library and advising users to turn off the old library (during a transition phase) and causing major issues of duplicated components and user issues around knowing which instance of a component to actually use.

This is a major productivity problem for us. We’re using a hierarchy of libraries where the same component name is used in multiple libraries.
Seeing the library name in the search results would really help designer productivity and prevent the use of incorrect components.

Same here in our organization. Designers often use old unpublished and deleted components because they appear in “assets”. So we are painting it red to indicate that it is an old component. Horrible.

1 Like

This could be really helpful for us. We’re not even a big shop, but keeping the smaller subcomponents we use to create a main component hidden from search would be really helpful.

Same here so frustrating!!!

Just joined a large organization with dozens of design teams spread out over years and years.

Searching for “checkbox” shows every checkbox from every possible iteration of old design systems.

The default behavior for component search should only show local components and enabled libraries.

1 Like

This is nearly a two year old topic and it is still a big pain. Please solve this.

2 Likes

Please fix this issue! Clearly, its current search behavior is unexpected and counterintuitive. Not looking forward to all the upcoming issues this will cause when our organization grows.

1 Like

This is a critical issue. This structure does not support agencies that have unique design systems for each new clients. Assets search within a design system is completely unusable.

2 Likes

This is a huge issue! FIX IT! :rage:

1 Like

I’m surprised this has yet to be fixed. Asset search should be the quickest was to find components, yet I end up not using it because it displays depreciated and “hidden” components. What is the point of this? We unpublish components so they won’t be used by our design team. I constantly have designers pulling in depreciated icons because the asset search querying is so bad. It doesn’t even throw them into categories or divide them by their path. It’s a truly terrible experience and makes search painful if not completely worthless.

Please make this a priority.

2 Likes

Please do this. I got a lot of libs running for different clients. And it is annoying as hell to place an icon which isn’t used within the system. I only want local or connected component in the search result and not those of all librarys, outdated, old or new.