Override auto layout direction on the instances

Hello Figma!

I can not change the direction of the Autolayout on the instances of a component. I can not understand why such a great feature is disabled on the instances and why not allow us to overwrite it?

There are so many incidents that I would have wished to be able to change the direction of the Autolayout in the instances of the component but right now I have to create multiple variants. :frowning:

8 Likes

Here is an screenshot

Canā€™t believe nobody even commented on this. Canā€™t think of a reason why itā€™s disabled, please make this a feature.

3 Likes

It would be great to have this option.

I have to create a useless variant for every time I like to change the direction of the Autolayout. This effort could be saved if Figma allows the instance auto-layout direction overwrite.

As you can see in the below screenshot, I had to create a direction variant to be able to change the direction of the instance but the downside of this workaround is that I have multiple source of truth for the same component.

I agree with you guys, will be awesome to have this override enabled =(

I thought we would be enabled to override the instances after watching the Figcon yesterday. It is such a tiny feature request but it has a lot of impact on my design workflow.

1 Like

Hi guys, how ya doing?

I have the same problems with auto-layout to create responsive components and change the direction of the desktop, for example, thinking about this problem and not creating unnecessary components, IĀ“m creating the content for mobile and for desktop hiding one of the groups. Make sense?

1 Like

+1
I wonder why you cannot rearrange elements if the autolayout is/is part of a component. It would save lots of time and clicks, having to switch between the component and the design youā€™re currently working on.

1 Like

This should definitely be supported. Like a button group will be horizontal on desktop and on mobile will be vertical. So i need to make a variant just for this?

I could swear this was working fine before and its been removed but maybe my memory is wrong.

2 Likes

I only started working in figma since January this year, but I too recall that this was possible and then changed with one of the last big updates.

1 Like

This feature would be great! Much leaner, than using separate a instance of a component with different orientation.

This would be nice to have instead of having to create a variant!

+1
Being able to rearrange the Auto Layout direction or even the layers one by one in instances would be great so weā€™re more flexible and donā€™t have to create component duplicates with minimal changes. Also, I think the slot component workaround isnā€™t flexible enough and creates many hidden layers.

1 Like

Please can we get this as a feature like yesterday?! This saves so much duplication work itā€™s scary and it is such a simple thing too! Please!

3 Likes

Hello, Figma, direction change for instances, cmon!!!
Yes, wrap + min/max is super, but not suitable for every situation.
Oh, and ā€œReverseā€ direction is also needed!

4 Likes

yes, dire need for this here too :pray:

1 Like

Desperately need this feature to avoid creating lots and lots of variants for the same purpose :cry:

1 Like

I need this to change the layout for desktop/mobile to make responsive components. The best would be to have it as a variable.

1 Like

Waiting for this feature to be implemented too! It seems such a trivial thing but now I purposely detach instances to be able to change order in an autolayout because I donā€™t want to be making variants for one simple design where I need it. And having designs with detached instances seems horror in my mind :exploding_head:

1 Like