LAUNCHED: Wrap elements in Auto Layout to multiple lines

It would be really great if there was an option in an auto layout frame where the frame would wrap the objects to the next line. Like this. Objects would respect the padding set in the Auto layout.

:triangular_flag_on_post: Update: 2021-11-02T04:00:00Z
This is now the #2 most voted feature next to support for RTL language support. It would be nice if Figma had a feature to mark that a request like this is currently being developed or is on the roadmap.

:triangular_flag_on_post: Update: Jan 13, 2022
You can use this plugin as a solution for now.

144 Likes

It would be a game-changer if there were more flex-box options, such as ‘wrap’ for autolayout, where you had the option to let elements wrap to the next line once the max width of the parent container is reached.

This would create a more realistic flow, and significantly reduce the number of layer structures needed. Currently, to create something like a list of tags, I need to create a separate row for each list and constantly adjust, delete, edit them to get the right orientation based on the tag content/text.

53 Likes

Hey. I also requested this feature and made this illustration for it:

36 Likes

I made a layer hack to achieve this since I doubt this feature would be implemented any time soon. → Check this out
I’ll make a tutorial on how this is made if people are really interested.

42 Likes

Please share a tutorial! This is a much-needed feature.

10 Likes

Yes, I would love to see your tutorial. Very useful!

1 Like

@Mr.Biscuit can you share the way you do Flex Wrap. I believe many people need to know this. Thanks in advance

7 Likes

Please share a tutorial video on this particular hack… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is a challenge. He didn’t actually do it.

He and @andre have a working solution, but they haven’t been shared yet because the challenge is still going. :brain: :tornado:

2 Likes

@Powers @Andre_Pinto @Design_Aviyel @Rebecca @Stefania
Here is the original file to my Flex Wrap Challenge (as shown this video)

I have tried for the last two weeks to make a tutorial for it but two of the crucial mechanisms just refuse to be reproduced (only works on direct copy) :rofl: so yeah, that’s how hard that challenge was.

I guess I did cast some magic spell on it the first time it’s made.

8 Likes

Auto layout is a very useful feature, and I like to use it very much. However, it is still not convenient and smart enough, because it lacks the automatic line wrapping function, just like text, the content exceeds the range and can automatically wrap.

6 Likes

I think you nailed how it should work. Now we just need Figma to implement it as a simple option in the sidebar.

10 Likes

+1!

Would love this wrapping feature as well :pray:t3:

You have no idea how much time this feature would save my team. +10000

Don’t forget to vote. This is #2 with vote count so far under to RTL text flow.

Flex wrap would be very nice. +1

1 Like

This is some crazy wizardry. I thought I was pretty advanced with Figma, but I have absolutely no idea how this works. Super impressed, even if there’s almost no chance I can use it in my production files.

I also requested this. Here’s an example of how this feature could be implemented:
3867bba0a5e18545f53d72ff97886c23b01453cb_2_690x337

58 Likes