Skip to main content
Stephen_Moy1
New Member
August 28, 2024
Question

Replacing an image/video by copy/paste from desktop now renames the layer?

  • August 28, 2024
  • 12 replies
  • 664 views

If I use “ctrl + c” to copy a file from my computer, then select the layer in Figma I want to update and use “ctrl +v” to paste/replace it. The layer will inherit the name of the file on the desktop. So if it’s “IMG_ASD123” the Figma layer changes to be named this instead of what it was labeled in Figma.

Is this a recent update? It never used to happen?

It’s a bit frustrating as I used to name my layers “Asset (3:4)” or whatnot to indicate to dev what the ratio of the asset was but now I need to keep renaming it everytime I copy/paste a new assets onto the layer.

Is there a way to disable this at all?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

This topic has been closed for replies.

12 replies

Elad_Rahmin
New Member
October 8, 2024

Noticed it too, and this is a very annoying change.

  1. I pasted an image onto a main component’s fill and it changed my component’s name to be called image.
  2. I pasted an image to a variant, and all the props names got ruined because now the variant was renames to image.
    image
    Took me a long while to understand why it happened.
    And then I saw anywhere I pasted an image I now had tons of components/layers called image, when I specifically gave them descriptive names before.
djv
Figmate
Community Support
October 9, 2024

Hey All, thanks for flagging this, @Stephen_Moy1!

Apologies also for the delayed reply. I was able to repro on my end, so I’ve flagged this over to the team to investigate.

I’ll provide an update as soon as I can.

Stephen_Moy1
New Member
October 9, 2024

Amazing @dvaliao, it’s a strange one - I thought it was just be going mad ha.

Thanks for flagging to the team to investigate.

All the best,
Steve

Phu_Nguyen
Active Member
December 5, 2024

It’s 2 month and still see this happening. I have just see the issue in my file. Super frustrating.

djv
Figmate
Community Support
December 5, 2024
Laura_Keller
New Participant
April 17, 2025

Oh thank god it’s a bug, I thought I was going crazy.  I had one component in a carousel that was resetting when switching between platform variants and it made no sense.  The difference was I pasted the image of that one item rather than importing it.

Emiliyan Sartonev
New Member
June 12, 2025

Still existig..so anoying - pls, fix this bug, dear Figma Dev team 😭

djv
Figmate
Community Support
June 13, 2025

Hey All, thank you for your patience!

Can you please confirm if you WANT layer names to update or DO NOT WANT layer names to update? 

For more context, as mentioned briefly above, this “bug” was implemented because of a previous request from another group of users who want layer names to update when pasting/replacing images or videos. 

Now,  the primary hold up is the team is carefully evaluating the nuance between the members of the community who want layer names to change vs. users who do not want layer names to update. To ensure that we don’t push another fix that in turn, continues to create new bugs for the other group of users, we need to better understand the numbers in the community for WANT vs. DO NOT WANT. 

Laura_Keller
New Participant
June 16, 2025

​@djv thanks for following up!

My reasoning for NOT updating layer names is that pasting image data doesn’t inherently relate to a layer’s name. I typically paste images in two ways:

  1. Copying an image from an external source into Figma.

  2. Using “Copy/Paste Properties” to transfer content from one layer to another.

In the second case, I can understand updating the layer name, since it can be considered part of the layer’s properties. But in the first case—when pasting from an external source—there’s no layer name data being transferred, so I wouldn’t expect the layer name to change.

Is there a way to keep the default behavior intuitive for general users while offering a custom action for power users? If community members are running batch actions, they’re likely advanced users who would be comfortable locating and using a custom command.

djv
Figmate
Community Support
June 16, 2025

Thanks for the additional context, ​@Laura_Keller! 

I’ll pass this onto the team for consideration.