Remove automatic link formatting when pasting email addresses and links

Hey @Victoria_K,

Thanks for the feedback! We’ve merged your topic with an existing one, so our team can track and monitor interest from the community in one space. Be sure to Vote up top if you haven’t already! :point_up:

I have to copy over tonnes of data into prototypes and this includes emails. If I grab them from one area in my designs and copy them to another it pastes as a link which is very tedious to remove, especially when you have to do it every time. My alternative option is to right click, copy as text, right click paste as text anytime I want to copy an email. Which can be tens or hundreds of times… It’s driving me nuts.

+1(0000) for me too. This is honestly driving me insane guys. Please just give us an option to paste without formatting, or perhaps stick it in the preferences to turn off hyperlinks on paste? They’re not necessary.

4 Likes
  • 1 on this! Most annoying thing rn
1 Like

+1
automatic email links make me frustrated so much. hope this will be able to turn off.

2 Likes

+1, such a frustrating thing

1 Like

So frustrating, yet so un-useful, in majority of cases

1 Like

Glad to see this catching attention. Since we Figma users are creating prototypes, and not functional web experiences, it seems that text should by default remain unformatted as far as links go, with options to add this functionality as needed. i have never once needed any of my links, emails, etc to be clickable to a real site or to send a real email. i have however, spent hours and hours of cumulative time trying to get a datatable with users and their imaginary contact information to update the fake email address’ text and NOT the hyperlink destination. this seems like it ought to be an easy enough fix. PLEASE don’t force us to undo the effects of a feature that nobody actually needs.

1 Like

We are living in July 2023 and the so called best UI design app in world doesn’t have a simple “Paste as a plain text”. What a shame really! What a shame!

Irony is the Figma staff like @dvaliao think all of their users are the community that come and participate on stupid feature request forums. No I am one of the silent majority and I am telling you this thing is driving everyone crazy! Just come out of your tiny feature request caves and do random in person surveys and user interviews!

Even Google Chrome has the “Paste as a plain text” feature and this topic on Figma should still be open! I can’t really believe this and then they say why we loved Adobe XD!

Anyway, for the moment this is a solution everyone:

If you are on Windows there’s a free tool called PureText that you can grab from the Microsoft store. Just install it and whenever you wanted to paste the text without links to the Figma, user the shortcut key: Win+V

Do this and forget about arguing with Figma staff about this! Let them enjoy their feature requests toys!

3 Likes

I agree this is horribly frustrating, but i don’t blame @dvaliao for prioritizing requests as they come in and as they receive attention. at the time she replied, this was just a small complaint, but this has REALLY taken off recently. I posted well over a year ago, and there was little traction, but now i get replies every other day in Figma, showing that this is really becomming a frustrating issue for us. keep in mind that people like @dvaliao are customer service representatives and not responsible for singlehandedly fixing our woes. Figma support has always been kind and is doing their best!

that being said, @dvaliao with the uptick in responses to this, is there any update regarding where this fits in the bugfix timeline? this is still an issue i encounter near daily, and it’s been well over a year since it was originally brought to Figma’s attention. Has there been any movement?

Yes. It’s really annoying.
What I do is I paste the link without https://
Once the link placed then I write the https:// there.

Sorry, if someone already mentioned it here.

+1 Please remove this behavior, it is frustrating.

2 Likes

Still frustrating. No updates have been made?

2 Likes

+1. working on editorial site redesigns. whilst it would be a great feature for custom cosmetic styling of link underlines (and the links being styled automatically), the function to hyperlink causes unwanted browser opening.

credit where due. Figma team constantly delighting me with new features which are totes toting my totes totem. x

+1 here, It really bad feature. Make everything so much harder since I have to manually remove the link 1 by 1 and change the text style back to the one that used to be. PLEASE REMOVE THIS USELESS FEATURE!!!

1 Like

Hey everyone! Thanks for all your feedback.
We’ve launched a solution for this issue:

⌘⇧V (Paste and match style) will paste emails and links without turning the selected text into a link.

This doesn’t really solve the problem, the complaint we all have is that we don’t want the link at all, and pasting without a link, or bare minimum pasting without simply adding a link to the existing text should be the default. nobody right clicks to copy and paste, if CMD+C CMD+V doesn’t copy plain text and paste the text i copied, this issue as outlined in our complaint persists.

nobody has ever wanted an email address in Figma to be an active link which opens our mail client. we create prototypes, nobody expects email addresses to be links in a prototype. The default should be plaintext.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.
We found that some users do use ⌘V to add URL and email links to text, and our goal was to not break the existing behaviors for these users, while allowing others like yourself to paste without the link using ⌘⇧V (you don’t have to right click to do this!).

Although it’s a fair point that pasting emails as links is not as common as pasting URLs as links, we would like to keep the interactions consistent between both link types.

In your original post you mentioned wanting to paste email/links without formatting using ⌘⇧V. This update allows you to do just that.

We’ll continue to monitor for feedback on this feature. We look forward to hearing from more users what they think. Thank you!

“Paste and match style” is a very confusing term. I was just figuring out how paste without hyperlinking and glanced right over the menu.
Did you at least run it by some users to see if the string made any sense? Or consider making paste without link a default behavior, and hyper-linking a secondary?

I’m very disappointed in how you handle user request; saying “Some users do use command+v therefore we’re keeping this extremely annoying feature as the main behavior” comes across as a generic and lazy way of handing genuine user frustration.

1 Like

Figma team, If you LOVE this feature that much and can’t remove it how about make it optional? I mean just do it opposite as this useless update you just updated. cmd+v to JUST PASTE the link as a normal text and then cmd+shift+v for paste as a link that you love so much! Have you even do the user research here? :dotted_line_face: