Remove automatic link formatting when pasting email addresses and links

i know this has been posted before, but Figma really needs to address this issue. pasting an email address should not just format the existing text as a link with the new text as a destination. when creating prototypes with lots of dummy accounts, or even with real data, copying and pasting lots of emails becomes the hardest part of my day, and there are no key shortcuts either. i have to copy, then right click, paste to replace. or “copy as text.” it’s obnoxious, and frankly i don’t think anyone using Figma has ever needed a functional email link for a prototype, it’s not like we’re creating live products where someone might actually click the email link to send an email.

please fix this Figma, it’s infuriating and breaks the flow of creating prototypes. When basically every prototype i create for work requires a list of users and their contact information, it becomes a daily problem which destroys efficiency. at the very least, allow us to paste them without formatting using cmd+shift+V or something.

26 Likes

+1 – That feature unfortunately is really really annoying…

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Each time I copy-paste text within Figma, anything that looks like email or URL becomes hyperlink. I understand this is a feature, but it is super annoying when you create UI that involves mock emails and URLs. You copy paste fake email and even while it wasn’t a link before it becomes one. I have to do an extra step to remove the link afterward. Does anyone else has this problem?

I feel this behavior is like adding default interaction to any layer that has “button” in name. Why do that? Right now converting existing text with email or URL to hyperlink is really quick. It takes just two clicks. Super easy. So I wish there was an option to disable this feature on copy-paste entirely.

10 Likes

+1 so true. It makes me insane

9 Likes

ok, I have looked into this again. You have to delete the text you have to replace (double click - > delete) and then paste the URL text instead of selecting the text and pasting the URL text. Once you get used to it, it works quite well. :yum:

2 Likes

Thank u for this!

1 Like

This feature makes me insane. I have to paste a lot of e-mails, and I’ve NEVER had a use for it to actually open my mail client. Please, please remove this or make it possible to turn off.

7 Likes

SERIOUSLY Will you fix this!!

1 Like

Please Figma, remove this automatic link formattinng when pasting links or emails, this is just beyond annoying.

Thank you.

Hey @kirillspraev,

We’ve merged your idea with an existing, similar feature request. We’ll continue to pass this feedback onto the team and gauge interest from the community.

Hey @dvaliao,
Things like this make it so clear that while I have been thinking of figma as a product, it’s actually a situationist prank. I guess the giveaway should be the use of the phrase “we’ve merged your idea with an existing, similar feature request,” with no mention of which request, or any way to track the “request,” on a thread peppered with users having the same issue for several years. You got me, I fell for it! I probably should have recognized the phrase from the Terry Gilliam film Brazil, but it’s been years since I watched it so I just didn’t catch it.

1 Like

We hear you, @Ryan_Hoguet. Sorry for the frustration!

To be completely transparent, our team is only here for moderation purposes, as the forums are primarily run by the community. We pass along feedback to the appropriate teams, prioritize features, and gauge interest from the community through Votes.

This particular feature request only has 17 votes. There are ~6 other feature requests with +800 votes that our developers are prioritizing right now.

We can’t promise an exact timeframe for most requests, because our team here isn’t given a roadmap. Rest-assured that we ensure that the right teams are aware of community feedback, and our moderation team here will do our best to keep you updated as well.

1 Like

Hi,

Is anything being done with this? At least give us a feature to disable hyperlinks being automatically created on emails and links, it is extremely frustrating while working… thanks

1 Like

Hey @Phil_J,

This particular feature request only has 21 votes from the community. As mentioned 2 days ago, there are ~6 other feature requests with +800 votes that our developers are prioritizing right now. As new features are released, we hope to be able to provide a better timeline in the future.

Definitely + 1 for this. Even a shortcut to paste without formatting would be appreciated.

Meanwhile for everyone similarly annoyed by this as me, quick workaround is to add a space at the end of the address. Not ideal but seems to work.

3 Likes

E-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y annoying. I have just asked the whole design department to upvote this thread.

4 Likes

this is hella annoying. pls fix.

2 Likes

Please Figma team, let user switch off in settings automatic link formatting when pasting text that look like emails address, this is just more than annoying and creates too much of extra work for editing text back from link into simple text. Thank you.

2 Likes