Multiple high res image library

Hello all,

I am creating a library where there will be almost 200-300 images. These images need to be high res as we will be working and exporting based from this library.

I did search on importing high res images through out this forum. There are major two recommendations 1. Use plug in 2.importing in smaller size (250x250px)

My questions are

1. What happens when you input high res images to create library?
  2. How does Figma handle it?
  3. Is there size limit to input as a library asset?
  4. If there is size limit and it is small, when exported can image be still exported as high res?

Would be wonderful to get some support in this.

Thank you

Hey,

I’ve been working with ultra high res images, they do get scaled down till 4K. If your application is below that then I dont think there might be any problem but if its higher then I’d recommend using something like CorelDraw, Illustrator, Designer which can handle such stuff.

As far as the quantity goes, I’ve a file which has more than 2k of these images and yes the file take time to load, but there is no such cap on file sizes yet.

Hope this answers you question.

Hello Sagar

Thanks for replying to questions. This gives me some background information to work on. Is there any size that you use to set the image? to be consistence?

I used to frame the images instead of changing the sizes of the images to maintain consistency since cropping is manual process and I didnt have the willpower to do that.

Hey Ra11
I’m starting down this path now, where I’m looking to create libraries of images (100s at a time) to enable a smoother workflow for some of our projects by having the relevant images imported into figma, at designers’ fingertips.

This sounds similar to what you were looking to achieve. How has it been working for you?
Any key learnings you can offer are appreciated.

I’m wanting to be able to import metadata, as these images are rich and working with just filename may be limiting. Probably for another topic and can’t find any solutions yet for getting that data into figma easily.

I am wondering if your libraries are searchable only by layername/ image filename or if you have found some other way to support easy discovery?

Hello Brad_Rhodes

Thanks for reaching out!
To be honest, this project has been hold off from my end. I will definitely put this into action and practice coming Q2, 2023.
I am very curious about your idea of importing metadata into Figma. I also want to achieve what you are thinking (able to search images within Figma file).

I would love to get connected with you and discuss this further. Is this possible from your end?