Multiple Flows Should Have Different Device Frames

Would love if this functionality existed. Ran into an issue of wanting to have different devices for different Prototype flows.

3 Likes

I am trying to transition from Adobe Xd and I am really surprised you can’t set individual devices for different flows. Seems like a huge oversight.

3 Likes
  1. Describe the problem your experiencing and how your idea helps solve this

Currently Figma only allows one prototype per page.

This means that when creating a mobile and desktop design on the same page you will have to keep switching between prototypes. It is further complicated by only being able to define one device size for prototyping per page.

Another problem this creates is: Designs on the same page might represent multiple flows. I cannot share prototypes to these multiple flows at once while keeping the designs on the same page.
While I could break everything out into different pages, sometimes you want to keep things together to ensure consistency for the designs or being able to do the same changes quickly for multiple flows / frames.

I would like to define multiple “starting frames” and “device sizes” per starting frame.

40 Likes

I want to be able to start a prototype from whatever frame I currently have selected.

24 Likes

+1. As a workaround, try starting your prototypes with a frame that has tiles for “Desktop” or “Mobile” and branch from there. I set Device to “None” in Prototype settings. Might not work in all cases, but this lets me have desktop and mobile designs for the same feature on the same page. @Arvid

2 Likes

Absolutely the same opinion. Especially in the exchange with developers. I find it very tedious to have to change the starting point every time so that the developer can use the prototype.

5 Likes

Since any changes in the prototype are live. It’s difficult to change.
if I took a copy and work, the dev is referring to the wrong link. So please, give access to Single pages, Multiple prototypes.

1 Like

Allow many prototype ‘flows’ per file.
Provide a “select flow” and “Add new flow” under the prototype tab.
Allow a flow to have a user created ‘id’ name that makes it unique for the prototype url.
Each flow is a separate set of all the connection and transition data between frames.
Only one selected flow can be edited at a time. The selected flow will be the prototype connection lines. Different flows could be different coloured lines between frames if that helps differentiate what your looking at. (only one visible at a time tho).
Each Flow would have a share button with a unique URL for that flow.

Update: There is now a possibility to have multiple flows within a single design file.

1 Like

Update: There is now a possibility to have multiple flows within a single design file.

This is a good start to the OP problem, but we can still only select 1 device per prototype, per page. So for web products, we still need different pages for different devices, even though the information architecture might be the same.

4 Likes

Adobe XD nailed it very well with Flows. Figma should copy (-;

11 Likes

You are right! (sadly) Hope they fix that. Limiting the prototyping to one device defeats the purpose I had in mind.

You can define flows with difference frames

but when they load in prototype mode they inherit the frame size of the first flow

11 Likes

ah yes, multiple different devices would be very much appreciated. But indeed already a good first step!

1 Like
7 Likes

Like mentioned above, this is a step in the right direction, but please include the possibility to have multiple viewport sizes in the flows. My absolutely most common use case for this feature is to have desktop and mobile flows in the same prototype – kinda cumbersome to switch between prototypes in demo sessions etc.

5 Likes

Yes, please add device selection to each flow. It is a must have for web designers!

4 Likes

Another vote from me. Device frame per flow is a must have.

2 Likes

Same need here! Browsing ALL the flows on my file regardless of the page they’re defined on.

Surprised to see that this has not been updated in the last Prototype update :frowning:

2 Likes

+1, I’ll add another use case I’ve been looking for a solution to - when I review iterations with stakeholders following user testing, I like to show the prototypes side by side - on the left, what participants of the user study saw, and on the right, what improvements were made based on the learnings. Having a before and after presented on the screen side by side really helps everyone engage in the discussion.

2 Likes