Copy text from Prototype

Hi there!
On a daily basis, I make presentations and share them with the clients via the Figma prototype. It is really handy, cause you don’t need to resend numerous pdf files if something needs to be changed. Despite the convenience, it is one thing that bothers me — it is not possible to copy text from the prototype. I know that I can share the Figma file and the client can copy from there, but that is not so convenient cause usually, I don’t want to give access to the file itself.

I think it would be a great update to the Figma prototype if you could copy text from there.

10 Likes

yep, totally agree with this

2 Likes

Yes, please. I’m making a portfolio on Figma and will share the prototype link to the company when I apply. It’d be nice if they can copy my contact info right from the prototype itself.

3 Likes

Yes! I made a prototype for my company to maintain our brand standards/logo usage and it would be cool to be able to copy text (specifically hex codes) out of it.

2 Likes

Also need the ability to copy text from an exported PDF.

1 Like

I’m maintaining a company’s brand and it would be useful if people could copy the hex codes in the prototype. Being able to copy text out of a prototype would be really nice please.

Same, I am working on a large scale project where I have multiple developers and I have a very complex interactive prototype with so many conditional forms where I have many Components + Variants to create and show the conditional logic. Most of the backend developers don’t want to learn Figma in order to interact with Variants and copy the text from each Variant.

Really need the ability to copy text from prototype/presentation mode. I have added the example prototype with few interactive components which I have used in a section of a page of a page.

Example Prototype: https://www.figma.com/proto/miXOvCvTggjuHtJDvoRl01/Example-Wireframe?page-id=0%3A1&node-id=1%3A2&viewport=967%2C586%2C0.56&scaling=min-zoom&hide-ui=1

Figma should improve the experience by introducing this feature like UXPin.

There must be some options within Prototype(preview) mode where developer can select and copy the content. Not in Inspect because if we are using conditional interaction then developer have to go each variant to copy conditional content.

Same here. I am a user researcher, I run user tests with prototypes where I show participants a design variation in presentation mode and ask them to apply changes in the prototype, so they need to copy content from the prototype. I definitely don’t want to show participants the Figma file - it’s not convenient and in fact might be even confusing for them to play around with Figma files.

How come is it still not possible to do this?!?

This is a serious need. Its really hard to extract text and share it with the team. There is so much time being wasted doing this every time. Please make this possible. it’s so annoying.

I would love this small but very convenient feature as well!

1 Like

What is the reason this isn’t available from the start?

I NEED this feature too! And even better than just allowing text to be selected and copied would be to allow certain chunks to be coppied with a click like code snipets. It could be a type of interaction in the prototype settings, as you can click and trigger a transition, you would be able to click and get a text coppied to your clipboard.

Bumping this! We love Figma prototypes for presentations, and it’d be so handy to highlight and copy information directly from the prototype.

Yes please! We need this feature asap!

Bumping this thread. It’ such a small feature but it would be super helpful

1 Like

User Researcher here. In need of this feature for usability testing purposes too

need this. bumping thread

This is so basic… Why isn’t it available yet?

We want to be able to share prototypes with non-designers and they need to be able to copy text. Please please please make this a feature!

Replying so this topic stays open. I’m a User Researcher and would love if prototype text was selectable.