Where is the Main top menu in Figma for Windows?

HOW DO I MAKE THE TOP MENU AVAILABLE ON WINDOWS DESKTOP?

I’ve been looking for several days, and posted the same question to Figma Support which wasn’t answered.

On Windows, the DESKTOP menu experience of Figma is just like the browser experience seen on all browsers. This minimal navigation view (with mobile-only menu) just won’t do. After using the Mac Desktop version for years, I cannot think for a moment that Figma would want to force Windows users to use the software like this.

I’ve seen posts out in the wild that suggest “just click ALT and the menu will appear”, but this doesn’t work.

HOW DO I MAKE THE TOP MENU AVAILABLE ON WINDOWS DESKTOP?

2 Likes

Figma Desktop App for Windows doesn’t have a menu like macOS. You can use the “Main menu” (F logo at the top left) in the editor or the additional menu, which is located at the top right (near the “Minimize / Maximize / Close” buttons).

2 Likes

You’re the first one to tell me this. Why is Figma not publishing this information?
Do you know if there’s a keyboard shortcut to open the menu?

Apparently, the support team has a heavy load that they don’t have time to answer everyone.

As far as I know, there are no keyboard shortcuts for either the Main menu or the additional menu. But you can use the Quick action to find the desired items in the Main menu. Shortcut: Ctrl + / or Ctrl + P.

It took me a while to notice this little guy here:

I think the Figma app is an electron app with basically the web version inside of it. Windows has been moving away from that top bar (File, Edit, View) for many years. Many apps are getting creative with that top section. (Slack, Telegram, Gather, Firefox, Chrome, Zoom, and even MS office have very different top header experiences).

I think this is both good and bad. Creativity sometimes leads to interesting outcomes. But I do crave consistency.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same thing. I’ve been a Mac user for decades, and took a job, where while my mac is on order, I’m using Windows for the first time in maybe 18 years. Like every human, I don’t really rely on menus until I need them. But killing them to seem “streamlined” is stupid (Shouting a Windows here).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.