Variant Change On Drag - Only Smart Animate?

I’m new to Figma and have been doing a ton of experimentation and testing to get a feel for it and I noticed something very peculiar when trying to create an infinite carousel.

I created 5 square frames in a line and was able to switch to them via “on drag > navigate to > push”. I was able to build a working infinite carousel this way. I then grouped those frames together as a component set, so now they are all variants, and still… it worked as intended.

But something I found interesting, was that if I created the variants first, WITHOUT the “on drag > change to > push” settings already established, it would not allow me to add those settings after the fact. The only option for changing would be “smart animate.”

Why is this?

Seems like a Bug. Have same behavior

Even for the first way. After you convert them to component set, all options are greyed out.

1 Like

Yea, I thought it seemed odd. Even when changing between variants “on tap” or something other than “on drag” it at least gives the options for “instant” and “dissolve.” Unless you specify those settings beforehand.

Very strange. I made a simple infinite carousel relatively easy though, using the on drag setting with push.