Variable change listener interaction

Hello!

As mentioned earlier in posts such as Prototype - Interactions - Event listener & ElseIF conditional, it would be really useful to have interactions trigger from variable changes.

Right now, you can already accomplish these by combining conditional statements with the “After delay” interaction, but it is extremely tedious to maintain and demands a lot of janky component work (see example of implementation in video).

Simply having “Listen for change in variable X” as an interaction would be a really powerful tool to create reusable components for advanced prototypes.

1 Like

Hi there,

Thank you for providing feedback! I will share this with our internal team. Your input is highly valued, and we will take it into consideration for future enhancements.

Thanks,

Toku

1 Like

I made a post about this some time ago, but I completely agree. I have also solved this by creating “After delay” components that run constantly. My project is very large, and this results in it being very CPU intensive, and the prototype interaction lag as a result. “Listen for change in variable X” might not be enough, because you might need to listen to several variables. So, it would be better to listen for any change, in any variable. “Listen for change in variables” would solve my needs at least. Aka, OnEvent/EventUpdate.

It is also very tedious not being able to copy and paste elements within an event.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback! I passed them along to our internal team. We really appreciate your voice!

I support this idea. It would be great to have it.

I think what you are trying to achieve here is similar to this other post Change variant of a component from a different component If so, there is an answer inside this post.