Stop frames from moving around

This just feels like acitve sabotage of productivity or some mindgame.

1 Like

The best workaround for this would be probably be PenPot!

Wouldn`t it reflect more kindly on figma to call this a bug instead of a product idea?

How is this a bug? The current behavior is intentional, whether desired by you personally or not. If they implement a feature which would only lock the frame from moving but not the contents, but it would stop working — that would be a bug. But since there is no such feature, there is no bug.

I also need this feature.
I want my frame to be locked in position, but I want to edit contents inside of it.
Now I have to use extra clicks all the time to navigate to the inside of my frame when I really “never” need to edit it.

A simple checkbox that says “lock frame” or whatever would be sufficient.

1 Like

I might not understand the issue here.
But it seems the best workaround is two things:

• Make sure to not drag the mouse when clicking
  • Make double sure that you selected the right object, or keep clicking until you do.

In my case i store all my atomic elements into frames that i am constantly accessing, and yes, few times I dragged the main frame and had to move it to its original place again.

No frustration.

When encountering such issue, i learned to be more careful with my clicks and make sure no drag was present.
Also learned about the “ctr+click” feature to select the last child item, and also the “Enter” and “Shift+Enter” function, to select a frame and manually go deeper on the selection.

I improved workflow

In this topic i see so many anger replies.
A tool can bring so many solutions to the users, but keep in mind that at a certain degree we are the ones responsible to learn better ways to improve our wrokflow.
Asking for an improvement to the devs of the tool is ok, but don’t forget that they are not forced to please our will to do the less work possible.

I repeat, i might not understand the real issue of this topic, as it surprises me how some users feel so angry for what seems a thing about clicking a mouse without moving it.

I actually was going crazy trying to know why some frames moved while others didn’t.

I discovered that if you put the frames into a selection, then they moved, but if you put them alone floating in the canvas, then they don’t and you can actually click the things inside.

I hope this helps someone else too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love that feature to be implemented also.

1 Like

it is trivially easy to spoil your work without meaning to. never making a mistake again is not a reasonable solution

1 Like

The trick is to not put things into a frame if you don’t want them to be children and inheritors of that frame.

You solve the problem for me, thanks a lot. All I did was to locate th frame, selected it, and clicked on that ‘padlock’ icon and boom the issue of moving frame stopped while trying ti select items or scrow.

you did it, thanks

I 100% want this. Frames + Sections (that contain working frames on them)… it’s a shambles. My stuff moves everywhere all the time when I’m trying to work in designs.

1 Like

Here’s what I do. Instead of taking a background screenshot (or a “body” container that fills the frame) for instance, and turning it into a frame, you create the frame separate, put a background screenshot or the body container and make it fill the frame and then lock it (the background image / body container). Now you can drop things into the frame by first clicking on the frame title, but now they technicaly sit on top of the screenshot or background container, which is locked, and enables you to move the objects around in the frame without moving the frame around. If you want to move the frame, then you have to click on the title of the frame.