Sharing a prototype without having user required to sign in to Figma

“Anyone with the link” can view prototypes but users still have to log into Figma.

Do users have to still log in? Is there a way to just share without having to log in?

3 Likes

Been having the same issue for at least a month. Settings are set to allow anyone with the link can view the prototype, but everyone is reporting back that they can’t see it. So the only workaround has been to tell them to log in first before clicking the link.

1 Like

Hey @Brent_Larson,

Are you generating the share link from the Editor or while presenting?

We just tried to reproduce and when viewing the prototype, generating a link through Share Prototype > Anyone with the link > can view is working as expected without needing to log in.

While presenting, I click the “Share Protoype” button.

My settings are:
Anyone at COMPANY with the link: can view
Anyone with a prototype link: can view prototype

Shared with one of my developers and he said clicking the link generates a 401 error on recent_files?org_id=null

since org_id is null, I’m going to guess that’s the bug

1 Like

Thanks for the context, @Brent_Larson!

Since your share settings look correct, can you please send this screenshot and the URL for that prototype to the support team directly, so they can take a closer look? https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Wondering how this was resolved. We’re having the same issue. A link generated using “anyone” is still requiring user to log in when trying to access it via a mobile browser.

1 Like

Good to read this thread. I’m still having this issue, I’m not sure it was resolved. @dvaliao are you able to provide any further insights? Thanks so much.

1 Like

Follow up to this: The catch when using this kind of sharing feature is that you need to be IN the prototype, then generate the link with your desired security settings to enable it to work. If you share a link to the prototype outside of the active prototype, it won’t work and the user will be asked to log in before they can view the prototype.

For me, I click the share link (anyone with link) within the PRESENT mode, not in the DESIGN nor the PROTOTYPE modes.

1 Like

Experiencing the same issue today - we noticed that it is happening with Chrome - switching to another browser or an incognito window in Chrome allowed access.

As is usual with Figma, this is unintuitive and needlessly complicated - at first, I was also confused, because I didn’t realize I should try using the prototype mode first - why is there even an option to set sharing of prototypes outside of the prototype mode, if it doesn’t work and requires user to be logged in?

2 Likes

I have the same issue, and I found that the copied link contained “mode=design”, deleted it, the problem was solved, at least it works for me

1 Like

Was there an update/solution on this issue? @dvaliao

Before today, I have successfully shared prototypes with ‘anyone with link can view’ selected. Today, the copy link location has changed from the bottom to the top right, and it says it is copied but requires login once pasted into an (incognito / not logged in) browser. If I login, I can view the prototype. Note: It looks like it is asking for an email in the share modal.
Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 1.23.51 PM

1 Like

Same problem here. It seems like Figma (Adobe) quietly introduced a new user “friendly” feature without informing the community.
Well, I need to look into Sketch. I need my clients to see the prototype without the need to create an account.

1 Like

I can see it in incognito (at least in design mode), but it has an undismissable prompt to log in.

My eye twitches every time I have the thought “boy this worked better in XD”

3 Likes

Same problem here, why would this setting ask someone to log in when the whole idea of setting up a password or setting the file to be shared with anyone is that they don’t have an account? This is literally delaying user testing on my company. :sleepy:

Experiencing the same issue ever since the last Update ( App version 116.14.9). The Setting “Anyone with the link” asks for login. This is making it impossible for me to collaborate with my team!

Somehow after logging out all accounts in the used browser (Safari) did the trick for me :thinking: