REM and "font-size" for Inspect

wow, really great idea. Could be insane with REM in Figma. :exploding_head:

1 Like

Love this idea!! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Excellent idea, would be really great! Could potentially reduce communication errors, as well as better communicate intent by the designer, as well as increasing the possibility of designers learning more about dev environments and implementation.

2 Likes

Absolutely!!! Same. Thank you @Louie_Morais I was just drafting this almost exact request, and found yours, so +1 infinity.
And triple yes to let designers pick a root font size i.e., base rem on a design file. The app I work on has a root font size set to 14px.

Here’s how I spec for the developers using my design files (time consuming)

Another great article [Back to Basic: Should we use Rem, Em or Pixel?]

1 Like

hmm… when would Figma support rem? I’m waiting for it!

3 Likes

Me too! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@Figma_Team - any idea where this is on your roadmap? Will we see it in 2022? Our engineers are not happy and lack of this feature makes handoff in figma useless.

3 Likes

Do we have it in XD or sketch?

This is a no-brainer. Figma needs to acknowledge this and let us know where this sits in their backlog.

1 Like

This definitely needs to happen. Plugins can’t be accessed without a license.

1 Like

i am using this for now Typescales | Figma Community

Majority of front end developers work in Rem so would make sense to have units in Figma.

I really need this to be able to work in the same units my client’s websites are in — some are in em, rem, % etc. Very few are using fixed pixel sizes and its causing developers huge headaches.

Not only that, it would make meeting accessibility standards much easier (specifically WCAG 1.4.4) if devs can use the same units I put into Figma.

FUNCTION12 converts Figma designs to rem units. The conversion only requires Figma link, so check it out if anyone’s interested.

1 Like

Agreed that Zeplin/plugins don’t work well for our large enterprise. Please implement this feature!

It would be really great to be able to allow REMs for font sizing not just pixels. Our engineers will need to spend too long to convert for responsive components.

Hi @Brett_Taylor1, Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I found the other community member asking for something similar here. So I merged your post to have all the feedback in one place!
Feel free to vote up from the top!

Thanks,