Option to disable "Image resized" when large images are brought in

Any updates @Figma_Support for image resizing without the use of 3rd party plugins? You have Enterprise clients depending on this feature to be at least given an estimated LOE for your roadmap into 2023.

Respond when you can Figma. Thanks from all of your Customers.

3 Likes

The most annoying thing of all time.

1 Like

I agree, this is a bummer.

Perhaps it’s a $ thing.

Well what if the Insert Big Image plugin stops working or won’t get supported at some point?
This should be a matter of a native setting users should be in control of.

1 Like

Who marked this as “solved?” Using a third party plugin to import large images, on a presentation tool application, is not a “solve.” If this is an issue of bandwidth or storage size, there is this new “cloud” thing called AWS…like…seriously, when will we expect to have the distinct ability to import large images without distorting legibility to the point of a rasterized psd from like 2001??

3 Likes

I will not use a plugin to solve this problem. I will use another application that doesn’t have this problem.

1 Like

Dear Figma,

Designers typically bring screen shots into their work area to collect ideas, thoughts, research, etc. I have been doing this in Sketch for almost 10 years now.

I recently switched to Figma, and while there’s a lot to love, there seems to be equally a lot to hate.

I won’t be using Figma as much in the future, I guess.

2 Likes

In case it wasn’t clear, the above screen shot is what Figma expects me to deal with. It’s hilarious.

1 Like

+1 for this feature… it’s critical

2 Likes

This issue is not solved. Using a third party plugin to prevent my design tool from pixelating my screenshots is not a solution.

I’ve been puzzling for days over why screenshots that display crystal clear in Miro are reduced to mush now that I’m attempting to migrate to FigJam. Until this is fixed, my team is unable to make the switch and will continue to use Miro.

2 Likes

This is a must do for Engineers! C’mon I want to make some mockups but guess I’m using keynote for that LOL!

1 Like

??? 2 years later, no resolution?

Hey Dylan,

Figma has a built in size limit for images of 4000 pixels, so any image larger in either height or width will be down scaled to fit. There is no way to disable it, but we’ve changed this topic into a feature request to track interest from the community.

As a workaround, you can either make your image smaller or crop the image into parts and put the image back together. If that’s too time consuming, as referenced above, you can also use the Insert Big Image plugin from the community.

A non-plugin workaround for this limitation is to import the large image via “import file” on the Figma home/browser screen. It will create a new Figma doc containing just that asset, which you can then copy+paste into another Figma file without it down-sizing.

It’s a tedious process, but it works!

4 Likes

Just leaving my +1 here because I cannot vote on this (there’s a vote limit and it seems Figma only allows to vote on ~50ish threads?).

I think in general it is a terrible decision from Figma to leave so many features unchanged and having users to rely on community plugins which are neither officially supported and maintained nor guaranteed to work in the future. Seems like a cheap shortcut for the Figma team to basically pass those feature requests to plugin developers.

You know, some things shouldn’t require plugins but should be improved natively from time to time. This forum contains sooo many critical feedback and complaints but there’s barely any official reaction.

Some folks are asking for critical things since two years and nothing has changed so far. But we got some random unimportant stuff nobody really asked for like Videos… I can’t even remember any important latest update since Component properties.

2 Likes

Surprised this is still an issue, isn’t it common that we bring in large screenshots to work with?

Hey @Bruce_Clark,

This topic was originally a question. We only changed it into a feature request 19 days ago, which is likely why it only has one vote so far. We’ll continue to pass along feedback to the team and monitor votes to gauge interest from the community.

Hi @dvaliao we are experiencing issues with images and screenshots that are much smaller than 4000 pixels. Even a 600x600 image will be shown pixelated and sometimes added images don’t even show up for others I share files with. It’s a pretty poor experience. Using 3rd party plug-ins in the team is not possible due to security. I think it’s fair to say that being able to include standard screenshots that show up is a must have for Figma and FigJam alike.

Hey @Kast_Bettina, Figma stores both high-resolution and low-resolution versions of your images. High-resolution images are larger than 512 by 512 pixels.

Figma only downloads high quality versions of images in your current viewport. For images outside your current view, Figma loads a lower quality version. This improves performance when you first load a file.

If you have a lot of high-resolution images in a file, your images may look blurry at first, but Figma will load high-resolution images as you explore the file.

If you’re still seeing low-resolution images, you can try the following:

• Close and reopen the affected file
  • Close any other Figma files
  • Check your internet speed and connection to make sure your device is online
  • Using Figma in the browser: quit your internet browser application, then relaunch it.
  • Using the desktop app: right-click on the file’s tab and select Reload Tab.

More info here: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052988373-Image-loading-and-performance

For anything else, you can submit a bug report to our support team directly via the form here: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001744374

1 Like

Hi @dvaliao I tried all of these and things are still pixelated.
Most screenshots I use are screen sized, i.e. 1600 or 1900 px in width and less than that in height.

Also I do work in a larger team, not by myself. If my team members cannot recognise whats on the screenshots, I have to manually rebuild things by hand (for velocity reasons I do use screens and assemble features over them). With the pixelation happening, I have to rebuild screens every time, which is undesired.

1 Like