Nested component bug?

Hi there :upside_down_face:

My team and I are a little worried about an apparent bug where an instance of a component with changed settings will revert to its original overrides when copied.

Have this also happened to you?

3 Likes

I have same problem, it happens when there are icon and text in the component

1 Like

Same problem here, I tried everything including advanced tips like dev commands, needs to be fixed asap, our documents are getting messed up

1 Like

Same problem here. We are a really big team on an enterprise account.
All our nested components so far seems to be affected! Not able to work anymore right now…
We evaluated it and it seems, that the bug is affected by using the instance swap property. If we change an icon and duplicate the instance, text properties are deleted, the inner instance does a reset. If we construct it the old way (double klick to an icon, then change it manually the old way) it works. But this is not the solution!
Figma - please help!

2 Likes

Add on: we also encountered, that working on the same file together, some persons do have the bug, some other do not! Strange!
It seems, that there is some kind of update rolling out, that affects some people, others not (yet).

1 Like

@Figma_Support
#branching:bugs
#interactive-components:ic-bugs

This is definitely a serious bug that still exists and has not been fixed. It makes it impossible to keep instances in a design library and do updates. You have to rebuild the entire component when any nested component has instance swaps. The nested component doesn’t become aware of the changes. EVEN if everything is in one single local file.

Figma this is like 90% of all the issues we see people have with components, and why the swap didn’t work. I really, really hope this gets fixed.

1 Like

Hey All, sorry for the frustration and lack of acknowledgement!

The forums have historically been run by the community, so my team here may not see topics immediately, but we’ll do our best. Also, keep in mind that we do not own Figma_Support, so looping in that handle does not reach our team.

In the future, for timely replies and specific bug updates, we recommend flagging a bug report directly to our support team via the form here: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001744374

That said, this is a long standing bug that our team has been trying to solve since October 2022, which was 4 months before this topic began.

Our team has already tried to reproduce and unfortunately, it looks like the reason why the instances appear incorrectly is because Figma does not bring over the instances/relink them correctly during paste. Figma leaves the layers which use those instances “dangling.” Because of the way this feature was built, there’s no way for us to know how to fix those, because they’re being pasted and not published.

As a workaround, try going to the file that the icons live, make a no-op change (like making and deleting a change to the description), republish, and then accept updates. After, try copying/pasting again.

What would be a HUGE help, would be submitting a bug report (as I mentioned above) with your affected files, so that the team can trace through the code to see what’s EXACTLY happening. With this info, we’ll be able to make more progress to finally fix.

This doesn’t seem to be a style problem but a content problem.