Merge only select elements

What Nils says!

Keeping this request alive, we just got access to branching and I had assumed omitting or selectively merging changes in was something you could do. Hopefully it gets an update.

1 Like

Keeping this alive, we are still suffering the current branching model and would love one designed to be used by designers

4 Likes

Coming from game development. Branching is a fundamental part of my workflow no matter the size of the team involved. Branching allows for isolation of incremental improvement, and injection of approved improvements at the right time. The ability to inject these changes in small doses AND keep the branch alive(!) after a merge is crucial.

• Branching allows designers to work on future releases and temporary changes that does not necessarily have to be a perpetual arc in the product.
  • Branching protects developers from overstimulus to design ideation. Even though Figma allows for everyone to participate in design (which is fantastic), design can be very overwhelming for non-seasoned designers or stakeholders.

The current behavior is in some ways detrimental to the agility of design ideation. This is a missed opportunity for such a great product like Figma.

• Having to kill a branch when merging, thereby not being able to merge selected items from that branch, does not allow for several preplanned versions and temporary (seasonal, thematic etc.) iterations of the design being worked simultainiously.
  • Having all changes pass through the main file is, which is viewable to everyone on any branch (as far as I understand) undermines the potential to isolate and direct design, sicnce everyone will end up looking to main for updated design.
  • Not being able to merge one branch into another branch, increases the amount of work involved in maintaining design itterations.
2 Likes