Managing fonts

Hello everyone!
Some fonts problems here.

Figma shows some weights that don’t exist in Google fonts. (Old topic about Roboto and yes, I’m using Roboto)
Even if I install it manually, I see weights like semibold, that is not really available. I also have some files where I can use the Roboto as a variable font (and it’s not).

On Figma the weights are much darker than the original one.
I read this thread that says it’s ok.

Sorry to post it again, I read some threads about these topics from last years, with no clear solutions though so I hope there are fresh eyes and ideas now :slight_smile:

So questions are:

• Do you have the same problems with Roboto or other fonts?
  • Is there a way to use my installed font instead of the one found in Figma? And how can I see if I’m working with the right one? There was (a bug opened here), how can I see if it’s fixed?
  • How, as designers, deal with that big difference of rendering between Figma and the web?

Thank you :tulip:

2 Likes

Figma uses the Roboto variable font, which has all the weights. You can find it here: GitHub - googlefonts/roboto-classic: Development of a Roboto Variable font

3 Likes

Thanks @tank666!
It’s interesting that I see the variable options only in some teams and not in others… Do I have to enable something?

Could you clarify, do you mean that the Roboto variable font settings exist when you open the project file from one team, but those settings are not there when you open the project file of another team?

You mean the tab in the advanced/oveflow menu?

Could you clarify, do you mean that the Roboto variable font settings exist when you open the project file from one team, but those settings are not there when you open the project file of another team?

Yes! I created a brand new team where I tried to use the Roboto file downloaded from Google as a managed font and I have some file where I can set the axes

and another file where I can’t

Can you please tell me if the teams are in your personal workspace or in an Organization workspace?

If in an organization, then perhaps static fonts were uploaded to it, so Figma does not display the “Variable font axes…” item. Or the variable font just didn’t load. Try selecting some other font weights from this list, such as SemiBold, and then reopening the font weights list.

1 Like

It is an organization and you were right, when I selected the SemiBold I could see the settings.
Thanks for your help and sorry for the late answer :tulip:

1 Like

You can go to fontesdeletras to try out many new fonts.