Make it easier for viewers to select nested frames for icons export and layout inspection

Viewers (mostly developers) cannot select frames and therefore cannot understand layout within frames. It’s hard to fulfill UI requirements this way.

1 Like

Do you mean you want this? Make it easier for viewers to select nested frames for icons export and layout inspection

Thanks for replying!
Yes, sort of. But I’m not sure it would be enough if only preventing viewers from selecting content of a frame.
In our case, we frequently use frames to distinguish different modules and label editable areas. So there’re going to be multiple layers of frames. Developers actually need to be able to select frames to check the margins between a frame and elements within, as well as select elements within a frame directly.
We tried: 1) pressing ‘cmd’ while selecting. But as suggested in your link, it’s still a bit confusing; 2)add a transparent layer. But it won’t allow us to apply auto layout to the frame anymore if another layer exists.

Changed the topic title to make it more clear as I think this all is pretty much the same problem just in different contexts. Feel free to add your vote.

Hello,

why is there a difference between what I, with a creater account, can see when I click on a component/element and what a developer sees with his viewer account?

A dev clicks on an icon and only gets the inner shape of the icon, but not the relevant bounding box for correct measuring. He needs to click every time on the small “parent component” icon to get the correct size, whitespace, margin.

Why? If you want this to be an option, at least make it a permanent switch. Otherwise the work of our developers gets messy and takes longer, also to many design reviews.

Will there be a solution?

1 Like

Hi Gleb … this thread is not solving the issue. Just make the same view/inspect ability for the viewer account like the creater account has. It is not about the ability to download the icon correctly, it is all about the measuring. :slight_smile:

1 Like

你是中国区的朋友吗?我也遇到了和你一样的问题,开发总是和我们抱怨不如其他工具好用,想请问你们最后是怎么解决这个问题的呢?可以留个您的联系方式给我吗,想和您交流一下

Same here,
Sometimes using components, the element have more layers.
And when viewer want to select he sometimes selects other elements inside & wrongly export them. Maybe some Lock export icon added to layer. So if parrent group is locked everything under it can’t be selected.

Also this is same for measuring, separate lock option for measuring so it won’t be confused for a viewer what is correct element he need to measure values to, especially when we are using more advance components, variants, etc.

1 Like

I think the one issue I find with this solution is that we have devs designing for different platforms, and they need different asset types. We’d have to provide each platform its own file type (SVG, PNG, PDF). When an iOS dev uses the Export panel for example, there’s no way for them to filter down to the file type they need. They have to download all file types or spend time unchecking the ones that don’t apply to them.

Please vote for this issue, I have am example how the Inspector mode should work

1 Like

Why do developers need to see the detailed components to the export option? Holding cmd for export option, it’s really hard to download the correct size of assets. We need some alternative better solutions for this.

1 Like

There is a simple fix. NAME the main container to be exported as EXPORT, and Just ask them to select the main frame layer named export from the layers panel. You can also use shift and enter to jump out of a frame and select the main container

Buy why? There’s no need to invert that, it’s just confusing.

2 Likes

Current solution for me is to set a fill for the exported frame and make sure the [show in exports] is unchecked, in the meantime lock all elements within the frame, this way in viewer mode even though they clicked on the inner elements, the export panel would still show the outer frame