Launched: Negative values in Auto Layout

@Tim_Ruiters I think I fixed it. Check it out.

No, I’m afraid not. I want the height/size of the visual above the copy to stay fixed in height.

@Tim_Ruiters Your file said: Ideally I would also want this video frame to autoscale in height when the button is hidden - I fix that.

No, that’s not right. In your version, the visual within the video frame was autoscaling. Not the video frame itself. I’ve added the desired behavior in the Figma file if it wasn’t clear enough.

But I completely agree with @Ben_Smeets in this one. This shouldn’t be a matter of trying to hack the system with a workaround. It should be a simple fix by allowing negative values in the Auto Layout.

1 Like

this was useful!! thank you!

+1
I would like to be able to use negative values in auto layout. This is a very common design pattern. Please add support.

3 Likes

I just created a community file that covers how you can overcome some of these challenges in your auto-layout components. Just search for “Negative Margin” in the community!

Let me know if you’d like to see any other examples!

2 Likes

As many have mentioned, there are definitely workarounds to this, and once you figure it out, it’s actually pretty simple (and definitely check out Drew_Palko’s “Negative Margin” file from the Community for a legit working example–nice work, Drew!).

That said, the best workaround would be no workaround, so hopefully, Figma will add negative values to Auto Layout in the near future.

4 Likes

Hey everyone, just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all of this feedback! While we don’t share timelines, and can’t go into too much detail of our roadmap, I can assure you that the team is aware of this and is definitely looking into this as a future improvement to auto layout. Keep the feedback coming! :blush:

18 Likes

I want negative values to be able to put icon on image, so like in code I could say I want this icon on the image from 16px from left and 16px from top. Would be amazing o.

Meh

+1 Negative padding needed big time as requested in original post.

Please, I need negative padding!

HI @Eddie_Velez , in that case, I think you’re facing a problem very similar to mine when positioning items through the z-axis.

There’s a feature request open for editing the z-index of elements, you can take a look, leave your use case there and upvote the discussion so we can make the Figma team aware of this issue. Z-index property that is independent from Auto Layout - #11 by Roger_Junior

I would sell an arm and a leg to get this feature. Please try and release this! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@Brian_Clay
I would kiss you if I knew you for requesting this

1 Like

Please Figma we need it!

2 Likes

Agree! Freedom of speech, transparent elections and negative values in Auto layouts XD

1 Like

+1 this feature would be super helpful

1 Like

Plus - it won’t keep the negative spacing if you remove elements in the instances, so it doesn’t really work for most usecases.