Global live library sharing

An idea: instead of “Duplicate”, maybe “Save” or “Bookmark” instead. And the bookmarked files will show up near the top in the “Library” modal when you go back to the Figma designing interface.

I work as an external designer for a company which has their own Figma design library that they want to share with me so I can consume their components in my work. My Figma account is within my designstudios organization.

My client have given me an “explicit invitation” to view. It was sent as an email to me.
With this link I can open the library in Figma BUT I can’t access the library through assets libraries…

So even with this latest info from Figma that you should be able to use a shared library in your own organization… its not working

This is really bad in my opinion :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes

Try this:

Plan A: Ask the library maintainer invite you via the share window in Figma( open the original library file–>click the share btn–> type you Figma account in the field and click the send invite btn)

Plan B: Ask the library maintainer to give you an editable access to the library, so you can see it in your assets panel, then the maintainer change the editable access to view only.

Hope it works for you:)

1 Like

As far as I know, this won’t work. As a member of the Organization you can’t use libraries from other Organization spaces. You can only use them in the Organization space that owns the library. So the only option in this case would be to become a member of their Organization and use the library in that space (I believe it should be possible for free with Guest access as long as you only edit Drafts). I don’t have much experience with the Orgs so I could be wrong.

1 Like

Any updates on this issue?, we need as a community and professional users to have shared libraries between files/users, at least for professional, don’t understand why is only for ORG users.

Shared component and style libraries are available on Professional, Organization and Education plans.

1 Like

Not for everyone, right know if we publish a file to community with external libraries it will lose the relation between them and show the message “missig library”. Do you know a way to avoid this?

No, this thread is exactly advocating for solving this issue. You wrote that it’s available in the Org plan which is not true for this issue so I thought you mean regular shared libraries between files/users as you said.

1 Like

Sorry, somebody told me it was available in ORG plans, my bad, thanks for the clarification. Hope Figma listen and make the changes to have our libraries shared for inter/external-teams.

2 Likes

They seem to try to make a new pricing model out of this feature in the enterprise model, and I think it’s a shame, that it doesn’t seem to be technical difficult, and they removed a necessary feature restricting everyone up to organizational plan with a very basic feature. It sucks.

Hi Stephan, are you sure this is available in the new enterprise plan? I see no such information on the pricing page.

No, not so sure anymore, can’t recall where I found this information.

It would be really great for the ability to do third party libraries, so that we can subscribe to other libraries without copying files in :slight_smile:

This is even important for company design systems. I am having the issue that I work with agencies who have an org account and thus can not use the design system I am building for my company (we are on a pro account).

3 Likes

We have the same problem. We have many vendors who have their own Figma organization accounts, but we need a central place for every organization to share one library. Perhaps this is something Figma should work into their Enterprise plan. While at that, they could make it so a different cost center could be associated with each workspace. Pretty please Figma.

1 Like

It’s the same for us. I work in an agency with an org account. Most of our clients have their own figma design system within their own org accounts. We need to set up our projects in our own figma space but with our client’s design system. They will not invite us to their space because of account costs and administration efforts, so we need to be able to user their design system in our organisation.

3 Likes

Same here! We have a pro account and are working on a basis of an open source product, which has its own design system. So we desperately need it to update, as our designs are always based on the newest version of the product.
It worked in an old file for us and we still have f.e. the text and color styles available, but the newer files show nothing. :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m surprised more people aren’t asking for this feature every day. As an individual i rely on third party design systems since i don’t often have time to build my own. I can’t even subscribe to updates on Material Design or Material Icons? that sucks.

5 Likes

Totally agree. And did not had the use case of Material Icons, but it’s a good one. But not be able to rely on third party design systems, is kind of an antithesis of the softwares philosophy in itself.

1 Like

Same here, as PwC have separate branches with separate budgets throughout the world we want to be able to share our design system outside of our super expensive but actually pretty useless enterprise account.

3 Likes