Figma not running properly

Hey guys, I’m wondering if any of you are experiencing the same thing as me:

I’m using Figma on Mac in browser (can’t install the app without system administrator right now). It’s running very slow in one particular file:

• Moving around is slow
  • When I change the component instances, they don’t get updated immediately, sometimes not at all. Sometimes I need to refresh the browser to get them updated. Sometimes even that doesn’t work and the wrong variants are still displayed.
  • It says that I’m offline all the time and that changes are not synced, and when I try to leave, I get a dialog that there are unsaved changes but there really aren’t any

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have idea how to fix this?

1 Like

Hey @petar.brkovic, thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you’ve been having trouble!

We’re not aware of any recent service disruptions: https://status.figma.com/
Since this seems to be occurring with a specific file, are you having the same issues with the file using the desktop app? What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

• reducing memory usage
  • logging out and back in
  • clearing your browser/desktop app’s cache
  • un-installing and re-installing the desktop app

Here’s how to clear the desktop app cache on a Mac:

1. Quit the Figma desktop app
  2. Open Terminal.app and enter the following command: rm -rf “$HOME/Library/Application Support/Figma/”{Desktop,DesktopProfile}
  3. Try opening the desktop app again

using the latest version of Figma and clear your browser cache and cookies can resolve the performance issue.

Hello @dvaliao and thanks for reaching out. I have tried all of the mentioned steps and unfortunately none of them worked. Any other suggestions?

@dvaliao Having the same issue, all my team is (some of us work on web & some work with the app). Everything is running extremly slow, also tried options above & doesn’t work

Also having the same issue and have tried all of the above steps with no resolution.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have the same problem and nothing that support has suggested has helped me :exploding_head:

Same here. Exactly the same issues and suggestions didn’t work. I just cannot work with any of my files. We need a solution!

+1 I’m experiencing major issues with performance, and I think it’s related to the new font variable update.

I regularly have to reload tabs due to auto-saving not working properly, and I’m currently trying to resolve a particularly stubborn component library file that refuses to sync components.

I’m now attempting to completely remove font variables from my files which has definitely helped.

I found similar performance issues when variables as a whole were first introduced, but it looks like they fixed those bugs.

cc @dvaliao

Same issues here. Will look into removing font variables.

Confirming that font variables is something you should check.

I’ve spent two days to fix perf/sync issue trying to log out/in, clear cache of browser and desktop app, saving .fig file and moving it back, even reinstalling desktop app. But only when I totally removed font variables and component links to them from working file - voila, file was saved immediately and CPU load % fall down to normal.

Same on our end, unlinking all font variables as well as some design system components seemed to resolve our prototype issues.

I didn’t use font variables but still have problems with the frozen styles panel: colors, fonts, alignment etc

Hey All, so sorry for the continued trouble!

Taking in the recent replies, this sounds related to a bug that engineering is proactively working on fixing involving typography variables. They are the cause of these recent performance issues.

If you haven’t submitted a bug report yet, please reach out to the support team directly via this form for help: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Be sure to use your Figma account email, include a link to the affected file, and share it with support-share@figma.com, so they can take a closer look as they continue to work on the fix.

Thanks for the update @dvaliao - how will we be notified a fix has been implemented? App update or through here?

Hey @James24, we’ll notify you here!

That said, the team slowly rolled out a fix yesterday. Please refresh your files and let us know if you run into any further issues.

Keep in mind that there may be some slowness as the file loads and tries to layout all the nodes in the file, but it should eventually settle.