Does the new component properties feature works with nested components? Doesn't seem so

I’ve recorded a short video showing the issue: Dropbox Capture

Basically, when using the new instance swap component property as part of a nested component, the instance swap isn’t reflected when used in combination with variant properties.

Here are the tests I did in the video:

1. Using nested components and variant properties (:white_check_mark: works)
  2. Using nested components and component properties (:x: doesn’t work)
  3. Using component properties and variant properties (:white_check_mark: works)

Does that mean that component properties are designed not to be used as part of base nested component sets?

9 Likes

I hope this gets fixed. Actually, there is a similar issue if you use a similarly designed nested button component with a base component, but your icons are not designed as different components but variants of a single Icon component. In that case, the same happens, switching the icon and then switching the state of the button also reverts, meaning the override of the nested instance is only applied to that specific variant, and changing any other property the modification is lost. It was also the case before the recent figma update.

5 Likes

@Bruno_Barros You asked in (Solved) Boolean property / Hiding frames in component - #3 by Bruno_Barros whether I had achieved the reduction from 36 variants to 2 while using nested components (a base component that all the variants are based on).

I have not used nested components for the 2 variants that I’ve reduced my Field component to. I did use it for the 32 variants I had previously, but I haven’t used that approach much lately as it has resulted in some workflow issues when trying to reset changes to an instance swapped component that was nested in another component.

This does mean I need to make changes to the same layer in both variants in my field component (styling the input text differently, for example), but Figma has made it easy to select matching layers across variants with this button, so it’s less of an issue:

Hey @All,

Thank you for your patience! We’ve improved the component properties experience with your feedback in mind. Learn more here!

I don’t think this is a solution to the problem @Bruno_Barros is discussing here.

This problem still very much exists. It’s pretty annoying. Essentially means we can’t use Component Properties.