Create Folders/Categories/Tags for files

Hello world!

I not have any idea if this is the best way to drop a suggetion, hoping so:

“be able to have folders and sub-folders (ad subsubsbussubs folders) for the projects?”

hope you like the idea.

Being unable to group files by folder is a real pain. Anyone who works on multiple projects or multiple things within a project could use this. Anyone who works with multiple people, from multiple different departments could use this.

Organizing files by folder is ancient UI design. Figma is meant to be a tool for UI designers. Why do we have to spend days begging for this basic feature?

3 Likes
  1. Describe the problem your experiencing and how your idea helps solve this
  • I open many figma files shared by other teams and designers. Things I don’t own. Some of these I want to keep and use as reference but they are hard to find again. I usually go to Recent and do a page search in chrome to find things. Recently I began making a dupe of some things and tucking them into my drafts. Help. I can imagine tags, favorites or some sort of proxy model. I would like to create a private project and put things in it that others own. I just want to organize these things.

Has anyone found a way to solve this that does not involve plugins? I cannot use 3rd party plugins at work.

*side note. The “optional tags” on these posts don’t allow me to add tags and from what I can see there is only 1 existing tag (for prototyping)

5 Likes

I want to score my files with star,because I collected lot of community figma files,but sometimes,I barely hard to find the files I want to use because I can’t recognite the file I used to reference;but the “sticky function” I don’t like it,because it will take over the page so much area;

I am form china,may be my eng not well,but I think I made my points clear?

:grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

YES to all of this, and also need a way to create quick access to files that are shared with me. I see them as two very related issues (IMO). But I would even do with better organization within our team space to start off with.

(I started a post on the need for “workspace” concepts)
https://forum.figma.com/t/way-to-create-a-workspace-or-bookmark-figma-files-that-are-shared-with-me/12332

2 Likes

Currently, a lot of users set a project thumbnail to present a large title and labels. could be nice if labels will be supported :slight_smile:

1 Like

From my understanding, currently in the all work files that sit in a “Team Space” are published and aren’t drafts or private to you. In this regard it would be great to have the ability to organise those files that are being co-worked on with other colleagues. To make it an easier process for everyone to find what people are looking for, maybe a “create folder” system tied in with a “drag and drop”. Something very similar to how Apple OS has it on their desktops in Finder would be awesome and make the interface really powerful IMO.

Anyways, keep up the awesome work. Best design tool i’ve ever used. xoxo Cam

1. As a designer working on various team files, it would be nice to be able to have a consolidated view of files I favorite across teams. Although pins are still helpful, you need to know what exact team a specific file is on instead of having a summary of pages I pinned or want to access again.

2. While Recent as an organization system can be helpful for short term engagement, it is still a challenge if I need to reference files beyond the filtered options. As a user, I don’t know if items I recently accessed within a year or two are falling off of recent.

3. Does anyone else experience this? It seems like more manual work to create a separate repository outside of Figma for me to just keep track and record of design files, when I would like Figma to also have a more helpful directory for files I’ve interacted with.

1 Like

Hello

Related to @Edward_Guerra post working in a large enterprise org i want to be able to favorite files since i don’t own the file or have editing capabilities i want to be able to find files shared with me that i might need to review or follow along.

Is there a way to favorite or star things after i view them instead of keeping urls?

thanks

1 Like

Ability to organize draft files in folders please! Lack of organization quickly brings in chaos. Who has the time to go through all the drafts searching for one in particular?! Search function isn’t a solution because I sometimes don’t know what the files are named.

3 Likes

At my team, we have been thinking it would be awesome to have a way to tag files independently of projects and teams.

The problem is we are using teams and projects to classify files, but let’s say I want to quickly see all files that are about a landing page across projects. It would be sublime to tag those files with “Landing page” and then being able to only see those within that tag, or even search by tags.

1 Like

Describe the problem your experiencing and how your idea helps solve this

I am a person that likes to source files instead of making it custom. Hence, I duplicate EVERYTHING. And that is a lot of files for someone that’s just learning. Imagine how many files big designers have. Would be nice if Figma introduced folders we can sort our files into.

I’m pretty sure the issue with not having folders is self explanatory. I haven’t seen a plugin yet that solves this issue and, to be honest, I don’t see it being successfully solved with a plugin.

Cheers, Dan.

1 Like

Adding Folders at the Project Level
not access independent, just for organizing visually
For designers working in huge corporate Figma accounts, Team level is populated by too many teams to organize effectively. But within Project level, there’s no more room for file organization.
(For example: A company with multiple apps would file each as a Project, but there’s no room for organizing multiple projects existing in a single Project file)

2 Likes

There needs to be a layer between Projects and Files:
Project → Folders → Files → Pages
This is not just for designers, Figma touts collaboration, PMs and pretty much everyone else are used to the standard structure seen in operating systems and platforms such as Dropbox and Google Drive … etc.
At enterprise teams with multiple product lines, and multiple areas within a product, then agile iterations and phases, the lack of folders that can be searched from a high level, is paralyzing.
I find it perplexing this issue needs this much discussion.

Yep Figma document organisation is dumb the taxonomy uses design-file/project as the same thing you should be able to have multiple design files in a project but the reality is it does work like that. For a UX tool the UX is pretty rubbish. FYI Im on a free account Iwas going to get my employers to sign up but now Im proably going to explore moving to Adobe XD.

Within a project, I pretty much always have files that can and should be grouped together. Currently all the files for a project are dumped into one location.

As an easy fix, we should be able to create folders in order to store related files.

1 Like

1. Describe the problem your experiencing and how your idea helps solve this

Keeping track and oversight over a continuously growing number of FIGMA files & project is a challenge in itself today. All the more so when you are in a large org.-structure with many product branches & units that provide different sorts of design assets & artefacts to the larger company. There are “best practices” & workarounds where you abuse icons or special glyphs to somehow add additional mark-up to your file-/project names – however this effort is futile if no one except for yourself knows the syntax / conventions you try to introduce.

Problem is;
• User/designer sacrifice work conventions in favour of speed and agility.
• Companies mostly fail to enforce (or agree upon) beneficial work conventions within their design organisations.
• Companies fail greatly on communicating / role out best practices to their staff.
• Humans are not consistent or reliable over time in keeping up to apply in-explicitly established work conventions. (everybody experienced this at least once with the attempt of naming conventions for versioning…)

Assumption is;
• User will quickly & more consistently use/pick up build-in work convention features in a software (e.g. setting a file status to DONE, ON HOLD, etc.).
• It is faster to set a status, format or property with a provided action than to think about a appropriate way how to squeeze this into the file-name.
• Standard Tags for status, categories or owner would help to make large file archives easier to search or filter for the desired content.

2. Add as much context as possible (screenshots, Figma files, mockups, etc.)

Example: Project Naming convention & assigning Ownership or mein contact persons to a project.

*3. Ask questions to bring the community into the conversation *
(e.g. Does anyone else experience this? Is anyone using a plugin or workaround to help solve this?, etc.

Probably only a problem case in large enterprises.
How do you overcome the missing options of FIGMA to assign file status or categorisation?
How do you get everyone on board to use common work conventions across teams, do you even care?
Would it help you to have dedicated action in FIGMA to apply/ add meta data / contextual information if needed?
Do you actively manage / curate the design files, assets or content in your team, org or company or do you just let it grow wildly?

Hi Figma,
as I thought it would be good if you add a folder option in the files area. So we can add multi-files in a single project. It’s easy to find everything in a single folder.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I think Figma could have provided grouping within a “Draft” enough, but they didn’t. At least, they should offer immediately this function to users who use the organization plan. Otherwise, there’s no reason to pay a lot of money to use Figma, right?

Hey Community!

I don’t know if anyone else has thought about this, but I’d love a way to be able to tag pages so I could more easily search on them.