Copy/Move variable groups into other collections

surprised this isn’t a feature yet, bump !

2 Likes

Would love to be able to move variables to another collection. This would be helpful for moving a variable up or down in abstraction (ie. Component > Semantic).

1 Like

We need that so much too :frowning: We are beginners with Figma, we started to create our variables one way… now we need to extend and reorganize and it is really frustrating.

+1. This is very much needed.

Is this still not a thing? Come on guys!

2 Likes

Bump! The deeper I dive into variables in Figma the more disappointed I am with how limited they are. Why can’t we still move variables between collections without loosing their references with the components? Why can’t we still override library variables with the local ones to create custom brand solutions keeping all variety of modes without weird workarounds? The use of export/import plugins is hardly helpful here. I was hoping that Config 2024 will bring us good news, but alas!

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly!

It has already been a year. Figma should’ve added this by now… Hopefully soon.

1 Like

Under the hood variables are just basic JSONs, how can this not be implemented after 1 year?

1 Like

Why is this simple, user-expected feature still not implemented in half of 2024?

2 Likes

It’s been a year since the beginning of this thread, and it is still not possible to manage Variables without set of plugins! This feature is unfortunately crippled, and doing anything with bigger Design Systems is super frustrating and time-consuming. Please make it better instead working on a new Slides feature 99% Figma users who love this soft for UI design, Design Systems etc. won’t use… :sob:

3 Likes

Please add the feature to copy and paste variables between collections and files, as well as duplicate collections. I don’t understand why this wasn’t there in the first place. I’d prefer this over AI.

1 Like

Please add this, it would say soooo much time!!! I work at my workplace we can’t install plugins due to security concerns, so I have to do this manually.

+1 needed asap. Makes working with variables a workload trap.

Just ran into this, it would be great to get this feature ASAP.

Anything to make variables easier to work, it would also be great to have a way to only show one collection at a time, or at least minimize groups when applying colors via the styles and variables picker. This would make scanning the color variables easier for those who don’t know what specific variable to search for.

Adding my name to the list. Added a bunch of variables (which I LOVE!) but now I need to re-arrange them into other collections. Also, does anyone know how many collections we’re allowed to create? Is it infinite? If so, I may just default to creating as many collections as possible to prevent this for now… in hopes I can merge, instead, later.

+1 Would make adjusting variable structure/hierarchy much more fluid

It’s been one year… Is it that hard to implement?

2 Likes

+1! This is really needed when managing variables :pray:

Please prioritize this feature. Not having basic functionality like copy/paste for variables makes managing our tokens/variables so much more difficult. I’m stuck relying on plugins that have mixed results.

1 Like