Change canvas background color

I can’t believe it’s as easy as changing the Background while nothing is selected. That isn’t nearly as obvious as it should be. I think it should be called Canvas Background, and should be accessible from the Preferences section of the main Figma menu—or from the context menu when you right click on the Canvas itself. This is pretty poor UX.

It should also be applied across all pages as the default, and have a Light and Dark variant setting, so when the theme changes, the background adapts.

1 Like

Bumping this too. Adding the ability to force the color changes for everyone and not only the personal view would be great as well.

1 Like

BUMP - please get to this soon, we’re developing a web app with a dark mode UI and a solid white background is making it hard to see the shades because it’s such a bright contrast to the canvas, this seems like a relatively low effort high reward change that you could make

3 Likes

BUMP - It’s in Figma, make it so you can change the background colour in FigJam NAOW

1 Like

Hi, has there been any resolution to this? I would l really like to change the background color of figjam to something darker. Thanks!

1 Like

I agree with most folks on this thread, I’d love the option to change the BG for FigJam.
A quick fix is to use the “Selection (Shift+S)” tool to create a large BG that can be customzed

I’m using a very big grey rectangule, sending to back and locking it

1 Like

Please change Figjam’s background color to light grey. The current white background feels too contrasted and overpowers other colors above. Thanks

1 Like

Bumping this, would be great to be able to change FJ’s background. Thanks!

thanks. the white bg was annoying me :slight_smile:

Any update on this? Dark mode is essential on such a large bright canvas!

1 Like

Once you enter dark mode you can change to light mode but my canvas background stays black no matter what, would you PLEASE fix this? there is NO WAY to change it back to white or grey or anything (side panels UI change, canvas does not)

2 Likes

Screenshot_1
Jus click on the canvas and on the Design panel change the color.

2 Likes

Please add this feature. Thank you.

A lot of our developers are using darkmode while our design components are based on lightmode :sob: A lot of dark text and elements on dark background.
A simple switch for lite/darkmode in the playground should be enough. But a colorpicker is also nice!

In approaching the creation of a rectangle to serve as a background, I opted for an unconventional method. I adjusted the size of the rectangle to fit the canvas, granting me greater control over the visual aesthetics of the background. Following customization, I selected a colour that suited my preferences and subsequently placed the rectangle at the back of the canvas, ensuring it remained locked to prevent accidental adjustments.

Also want to scream my support for being able to change the background color of the FigJam boards! I want to embed a board on my website and my website is in dark mode so worried the board would make people’s eyes bleed from sheer contrast.

1 Like

The issue is not with Fig-MA, its with Fig-JAM. That is what this thread/request is for.

1 Like

While true, you then end up accidentally moving the whole section when working within it and trying to select things. Also, you could lock it, but then objects can be pushed behind it in the z-index and you end up having you unlock it, send to back, and lock it again.

Currently the best option is to just use a rectangle and lock it, but even then you still have issues with the thumbnail and default viewing of the canvas because of how large the rectangle needs to be.

I’d just add that full white is even kind-of painful on an OLED display. I’d really like to tone it down.