Atrociously slow performance when editing component

I stumbled upon the same issue as described in this closed issue. Editing a component is virtually impossible, the performance is atrociously slow, editing text, size, etc. However, when I create an instance and detach it from the main component it works like a breeze. Any suggestions how to solve this issue?

1 Like

Hi @Jerzy_Grzelak ,
Sorry you are having trouble when using Figma!
This sounds like it might be a memory issue - Figma is a browser-based app, which means it’s subjected to a 2GB available memory limit that applies to each browser tab, including those in our Desktop App. When loading or editing Figma files nears or exceeds this memory limit, it can cause performance issues like long load times or crashes.

Our Help Center article on how to Reduce memory usage in files has helpful information on how to avoid hitting consuming a lot of memory.
I suggest checking your file for the following elements which can cause a high available memory use, especially when used in components:

1. Images added to your File at a much larger size than they’re used at. You can check this by temporarily toggling your image Fill settings to ‘Tile’, 100% which will show you the full image size available to you. If it’s significantly larger than it’s being used at we suggest you either flatten that image layer or export and re-add it as a new fill so it is stored at only the size you need.
  2. A large amount of content spread across multiple Pages. We suggest you cut and paste content from this file into a new file so that you aren’t loading the content you don’t need to when opening a file. To preserve connections between instances and their main components, please follow the instructions in our Move published components article.
  3. Hidden layers: Loading and then hiding a large number of layers, especially in components or with images stored in them, can cause a high use of available memory on loading.
  4. Stacked Masks and Effects like shadows and blurs also take a lot of memory to load.
  5. Many variants in one component set: A set appears as a single-component update when publishing, but keep in mind that publishing a single component set includes all of its variants. Very large component sets can be slow to publish and can slow performance in files using these variants.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Same issue and I was already considering upgrading my laptop but the issue is clearly from Figma as it relates only to components and even components that are just created and are not used anywhere.

@Danu_Trohin If I understand correctly, I don’t think upgrading your devices would make a difference in this instance. There’s a 2 GB memory limit set across all browsers tabs (and also includes our desktop app).

If your work is close to hitting that cap, it could explain your experience. It doesn’t matter if the memory is being used by components specifically – it would be all the work totaled up in the file itself.

If you’d like, I can connect you with our support team to review your components to see if there are any improvements that can be made.

Feel free to PM me if you’d like to do this, and I can get that process started.

I’d love to do that

Not sure how i could contact you directly. Can you contact me first?

Can you connect me to the support team as well? Performance @Danu_Trohin showcased would be a dream for me, in my case its much, much worse and my components aren’t even very complicated, I also don’t seem to have any issues described by @Celine_Figma

Hi @Jerzy_Grzelak ,
Sure, you can submit your bug report here: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Please include your Figma account email, a link to the file you encounter the issue, and share it with support-share@figma.com so they can investigate further. Thank you!

I just did that, thank you very much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.