Allow modifying "Decoration" to the text styles already defined

Echoing other people’s frustrations, managed text style overrides need to be available. What is this 2022?

1 Like

Would be great if someone from Figma could respond to this thread.

2 Likes

+1 Please do it already =)

1 Like

Holy geez, this has got to be implemented!! Figma, are you listening to this thread?? Running into this exact issue building our design system. I echo the comments that it’s ridiculous to have to either build in underlines in another font style OR break the link to apply them… /mutters to herself “I can’t believe this is a thing…”

4 Likes

+1 this - it would help sooooo much to have this!

2 Likes

If this is still something you need, instead of doing this manually, you should use the subscript unicode character for that. Most (but not all) fonts support this.

Char Description
subscript 0
subscript 1
subscript 2
subscript 3

CO₂

Same for superscript:

Char Description
superscript 0
¹ superscript 1
² superscript 2
³ superscript 3
superscript 4
1 Like

Yes, yes and yes!

1 Like

+1 Needs to be fixed!

1 Like

Also this:
Once a text style is applied all type settings that are inseperable from the style are hidden in the menu (left screenshot). Case still appears in the menu list but it should be hidden as aswell since it breaks the style and cannot be changed independently.
Feel free to vote here:

This works until the text wraps

Usually, this is the problem for body text styles (paragraphs) where you often need to add not only strikethrough and underline but also bold, for example.

The system solution would be to introduce text style variants or parameters, just like components have it. For example, the design system creator might decide that an H1 headline would allow only one possible variant (because you don’t want your designers to change it), whereas the Body text would offer more variants (e.g., regular, bold, underline, strikethrough).

Right now, we have 5 different sizes for Body text in our design system (Body 1 to Body 5). Each of them has separate styles for regular and bold weights, i.e., 10 different styles (not to mention mobile versions). When we need strikethrough or underline text, we have to detach the style because that is less painful than having 40 different text styles. It is still very painful, though.

I would love to have this as a new feature that sort of works the other way around: link applied to text style, but prevent the underline from overriding the text style every time the link is edited.

2 Likes

This! :+1:

just wanted to post this myself, but I was sure that it had to be discussed before, and here we are.
sad to see how old this topic is :-/

It would REALLY help a lot - and should be an rather small fix I think, so please you lovely Figma people - help us clean up our Font styles!

Really need this! :pray:

1 Like

Really need this!

This would really help cleaning up the text styles in a design system

2 Likes

+1 on this. Being able to apply text decoration, weight etc… without detaching the style would save having to create a text style for every instance and would help with dev also.

1 Like

Still waiting for this

2 Likes

Yep… still waiting

1 Like

Yep… Here also waiting.

1 Like