Allow modifying "Decoration" to the text styles already defined

Came here to suggest the same thing!

2 Likes

Yes! Being able to override individual parts of a text style without breaking the link would be great, just as it works with components. At the very least decorations and capitalization transformations.

5 Likes

Been fighting Figma on with this exact thing for a long time now. Specifically for link styling. I’d rather not have a second style just for links.

It seems odd to me that list style can be overridden but decoration not. So I wholeheartedly support the idea of making text styles overwritable in a similar fashion to components.
For those working with Material UI components that would also be a significant help as material component tend to side step typography line heights on a whim.

5 Likes

+1 here – I have to break almost all text styles in our project order to display the correct format of elements like this

7 Likes

+1 I agree, it’s pretty frustrating to have to break the style just because you want to underline a portion of text.

3 Likes

While it’s possible to override color styles for specific words within a paragraph, it is not possible to override text decorations (underline, strikethrough) without detaching the text style from the entire paragraph.

This might seem like an arbitrary concern, but styling links is a common use case.

4 Likes

Echoing this! We’ve already have had to a full set of permutations for every font size (this is normal/fine) x bold x italic. Adding underline to this would multiply this list x2 for each font-weight.

Could try adding a rectangle or line to simulate the border but then you lose auto-layout.

3 Likes

Agree with this, now working on my third design system in Figma and think it is nuts you can’t manage the text decoration in styles.

Hope it is added in soon.

3 Likes

YES! This.

2 Likes

We need this!!

2 Likes

+1 upvote please

2 Likes

This is certainly one thing Sketch wins over Figma!! V Frustrating. In Sketch you can override so many text features of a text style without breaking the original style. It’s available to view in the inspector and so much easier to use than Figma. I also think not being able to define the text colour in Figma styles is time-consuming when you then have to go through and ensure all your text has the colour you want! In some ways its good to not have so many style, but generally you only need a small number of colour styles for text.

We need better type controls in Figma!

5 Likes

Really need this!

1 Like

This is crucial to not have to break every preset style to just underline a part of the text… Any news on this?

1 Like

really need this option!!

2 Likes

Just ran into this myself—I have a base body font style that I want to use across my entire project, but be able to configure different components for different text sizes / weights / etc. Because of the constraints of game development, I only have a limited space to fit each text item into, so I’ll often need to tweak e.g. individual components to different sizes. Being able to have overridable properties (similar to components) would be super super helpful in this case.

1 Like

…guys, please? Also dyin’ for this.

2 Likes

I was baffled that this does not work either!

3 Likes

I swear this idea was implemented in a few versions of Figma, but it appears it’s broken again now?

It means I can’t use a single text style for a DS component when applying a hover interaction.

Here’s a GIF example, I don’t want the text style to revert to the (broken) text style I want the hover state to hold the new font, the interaction should just apple a decoration over my overridden text style.
Broken underline style

It’s really a bummer that we have to create multiple text styles just to account for that. I am really tired of that. Being able to apply an underline and subscript for CO2 are such — B A S I C — use cases.

2 Likes