Ability to mirror frame content without creating a component

Sometimes when creating a mockup of a screen with a modal or overlay, I’ll use content from another frame as the base. However if that other frame is updated, I then have to update it under the overlay. It’d be great if you could “mirror” content from another frame in Figma without having to create a component.

Out of curiosity, why making a component isn’t an option for you? They are there for that exact reason, to avoid unnecessary duplication.

Couple reasons:

• Once a frame is made a component, it changes the way you select and interact with elements inside of it. I’m not able to click and drag to grab multiple elements, I have to double click to select anything, etc.
  • I don’t want it added to my assets.
  • I’ve also sometimes into issues where frames set as components don’t act the same way in a prototype as other non component frames.
1 Like

Personally I made components from each screen I made. One screen - one component, because I will reuse it multiple times to illustrate different things. Whenever I need to move stuff I do it once in a master component and everything is up to date. That’s a mirroring, maybe the way isn’t exactly adobe way we all know, but still it’s a thing that works for me and many other designers.

Also it’s very beneficial when you work on app family. It’s a pure joy to be able to introduce new business flows made of multiple app screens that are not the same application

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.