Video playback not working with prototype Embed Link

Hoping for support troubleshooting this, or confirming if it’s a platform limitation I should submit the fix for as an ‘idea to share’ instead…

I have a simple prototype that has a home screen with a looping video background and 3 buttons that each open an overlay (when closed, they return to the underlaying home screen). This works as expected when viewing the prototype in Figma, but the video doesn’t play when using the Embed Link of the prototype. Here’s what I’ve tried so far…

1. Add the background video using Figma’s documentation for adding videos to prototypes.
  2. In the prototype settings, set the video to loop and toggled off the sound setting.
  3. Tested the prototype in Figma and everything worked as expected.
  4. Used Figma’s Embed documentation to use the Share toolbar to grab embed code.
  5. Created a Notion page, selected the embed option, and pasted in the embed code.
  6. Prototype loaded as expected with full functionality, but without the video playback.
  7. Tried Notion’s Figma integration to add a file and pasted in the prototype’s share link.
  8. After logging in, the prototype loaded, but without video playback either.
  9. Refreshed the page, but didn’t help either of the embed tests.
  10. Inspected the page with Chrome’s dev tools, and saw this error: “Video failed to load: Failed to acquire mp4 url. Status is 403: You don’t have permission to view this prototype.”

Not sure where to go with this next, but appreciate any help here!

Hey @Jeff34, thanks for reaching out and sorry for the trouble with this!

Using the embed code from the editor will not play your prototype on live pages, because it’s only embedding the file and not the prototype itself. However, using the embed code from within presentation view when running your prototype, should play the video as intended.

Thanks @dvaliao. I had been using the share button from the presentation view of the prototype. Digging into that 403 error msg, I tried changing the permissions on the prototype and that looks to have resolved the issue for me!

1 Like

Happy to hear that, @Jeff34!

Please let us know if you run into any further issues.

1 Like