The Library Analytics modal is unstable at scale, needs fully-featured export function

My (large) team uses hundreds of libraries, and we try to rely on Library Analytics daily to improve our design system. It can be quite unstable at that scale, with the modal being super laggy and unresponsive. It’s very painful for us to actually employ the data because of the tool-- it would be great for analytics to live in a dedicated tab with more fully-featured UX so that page load isn’t having to worry about populating a few hundred Teams (large org) in the background/at the same time.

In addition, it would be !LIFE CHANGING! if there were a way to export the full data-set for libraries to CSV!

Create a tagging system, allowing the user to tag library files within the org as being part of the dataset/design system. Then export to CSV:

Columns:

• Total Instances
  • Inserts (at current intervals, or use the tool to customize intervals before export)
  • Detaches (at current intervals, or use the tool to customize intervals before export)
  • Detach Rate
  • Usage
    • Rank
    • % of Instances
    • Insert Survival Rate [Instances are what percentage of Inserts]
11 Likes

Agreed, the library tool itself has a lot of great data, but the implementation is lacking.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I’d also like to see this featured in the APIs. Imagine automating the export and feeding it into either an app or a spreadsheet of some kind! OR into a living Figma file <3

2 Likes

+10000 Analytics are often impossible to get because it regularly crashes. And even when it’s working, it’s so slow and tedious to transfer the data to another platform to analyze and share.

Suggestions

1. Fix access issues in the current workflow
    a) if accessing via the org, don’t try to load all libraries. Force (and enable) users to search for a team or file name to find the libraries they need to avoid extreme latency and crashing.

2. Add access to analytics from more intuitive places
    a) Create a shortcut directly from a library file to open its analytics directly.
    b) When viewing a team, add a tab next to members and settings for libraries, just like at the org level.

3. Create paths to use data externally
    a) Enable a CSV download of a single library’s analytics based on specified dates (e.g. let me export just 2021, or just Q4, just January, etc. for annual, quarterly or monthly metrics
    b) enable analytics through API

4. Develop automated reporting.
    I want Figma to email me the CSV of analytics for my library weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually. Encode hyperlinks in the CSV file for every component to link to its frame in Figma.

5. Serve our analytics needs in Figma.
    Create a customizable analytics & stats dashboard.

8 Likes

Any updates on this? Anyone able to find an easy way to export the data so you can track usage over time? It’s great for snapshot but not much else.

1 Like

Unfortunately no. I’ve been extracting manual pulls into a sheet on a cadence out of necessity. Brutal! Pleaaassse help us Figma!

1 Like

Oof. Yeah, that’s what I’m worried I’ll have to do, too.

1 Like

Bein able to export the data as .csv or .excel for further analysis would be great.

I did this for a few select components recently. (As you all know, doing it manually is super painful so I couldn’t do it for the whole library)

But even with just a few components, the results were interesting and even surprising. I think there is a lot of value hidden here to make design systems better and more efficient. Also, supporting your decisions with data is always good. The window as of now is not really more than a proof of concept, but it could be developed into an essential tool for design.

4 Likes

We’ve been monitoring them - super useful. But also such a pain! Definitely need it to be full-featured!

1 Like

The Library Analytics feature is great for Product Managers trying to show the benefits of a Figma-based design system, but it must be better than what is currently available. At least make it available through the API so that people can extract the data into their data platform of choice

4 Likes

Sounds like we should hold off on upgrading to Enterprise, since this is the one of the attractive selling points.

1 Like

Depends. If you have a single library, you’ll be fine. If, like my org, you’ve got dozens…analytics are a mess to track.

1 Like

Hi Team,
Are we looking to build an export mode anytime soon?
Would love to use the data. The current implementation is stifling us in many ways.

3 Likes

I’m on the Enterprise tier and wow the analytics are on a whole other level of insufficient for our tracking needs. I’m being asked to track 30/60/90/365 day metrics on instance placements, percentage of teams using library, percentage of workspace is using library (impossible), how many inserts, percentage increase/decrease month over month, etc.

It’s completely impossible. It’s infuriating though because all of the data is clearly being captured. It’s all there in that little tiny modal (don’t get me started on that choice), there’s just no way to export that data. No way to look at a specific month compared to another month, etc.

1 Like

Seconding the sentiments here. I’ve been asked to track analytics on our design system; being able to see a table of component-level usage but not being able to export it is frustrating. Have to do a lot of manual copy-paste and data cleaning as it is now.

1 Like