Setting to turn off automated lists

I think this workaround is simpler:

In Danish we write dates like this:

1. januar = January 1
  2. juni = june 30

I am currently designing a bank app with A LOT of “first of the month” dates … and every single time it converts the date into a list. I am going insane about this.

1 Like

Lol … same problem here it seems … I wrote 30. juni and it autocorrected it to 2.

Yeah. Um. I’m really growing tired of the over auto-this, and auto-that we seem to be baking into our apps. This era of “predictivity” is starting to interfere with being able to work efficiently; not to mention a form of crowd control which goes against the very nature of creativity. I can’t believe Figma just assumed everybody would need/want to detect a 1. as a bullet and auto format! This predictive feature is more annoying and time consuming than it is helpful.

1 Like

I think turning auto format on / of would fit nicely into this little preference menu:

Although I find it mostly useful. If I really struggle with something like writing dates, I add some special character in front (eg. writing “+1. January”) and when I’m done with all entries I remove the special chars with some plugin like “change text”. Also just hitting CMD+Z is not the worst experience…

1 Like

Please, Figma team, add the option to toggle auto formatting on/off! It’s a nightmare when writing dates, especially in languages like Czech or Slovak where we write dates with periods and use spaces between D and M (= 24. 12. 2023). Please!

It is also a nightmare when you type “!=” and get “≠”. And there’s no Cmd + Z for it!
It’s a Python snapshot, seems like Figma thinks it knows better, but it really doesn’t.

Please, turn or rip off this feature forever

Also double dash that turns into “—” makes a lot of trouble for me

This is not a replacement, this is a ligature in the font YOU chose to use. You can turn off ligatures here:

Or change the font. You are cursing font designers now for no reason, Figma has nothing to do with this.

Thank you!
I must say sorry to Figma guys

This is still seriously needed!

In nearly every website design I create I have headings that include dashes, especially on line start. There is simply no way to do this in Figma without extreme hassle.

If i let Figma auto-create the list and then remove the list style, it removes the dash as well. If I try to add another dash and space after the list got auto-formatted, it directly deletes the second dash which is horribly frustrating.

I have to type something else, then enter the das and space, select and copy it, move to the line start and paste it there again. But then, as soon as I accidentally remove the space to the beginning, the whole game starts again.

The Cmd/Ctrl+Z option doesn’t really work either, because Figma seems to apply some sort of styling to the dash that then overwrites the text style that is applied to the text field. Which is also frustrating because then you also have to select the dash and re-apply the text style (selecting the whole field often doesn’t work if there are multiple text styles in the field (e.g. some other type for highlighting).

This is a thing that I encounter nearly every single day and it’s causing me more than just a few grey hairs… it’s such a simple thing but it’s so frustrating and a constant problem that I have to think about switching toolsets just to not go insane at some point.

2 Likes

Come on Figma team. This is a design tool - not microsoft word. Let us make our own design choices. At the very least make these kind of features optional. How did none of your designers protest this?
Or what am I missing here?

1 Like

I wouldn’t call this solved at all. Yes, I can use extra clicks undo the mess that Figma adds but it is constantly in the way. I posted the original comment over 2 years ago and this is still a daily frustration.

Agreed, this is just a temporary workaround. Figma should not be automatically formatting any kind of text.