Figma Support Forum

Set Starting Defaults for Design Fill, Stroke, Effects

Every time I add a new fill it automatically adds a linear gradient #fff. Each time I add a new drop shadow it automatically adds a blur of 4, #000 opacity of 25%, y value 4 etc.

I have to go in each time and change the default values. Ex.) Change the linear gradient to an image or a solid fill. Or change the drop shadow to 0 blur, #000 opacity 50% etc.

It would be very helpful to set these default values to your preferred defaults or even a layer style component. Ex. Effect Styles, Colour Styles, etc.

This would remove a lot of tedious and repetitive editing of default values since the default is now custom to your workflow.

It really pisses me off, I hate figma, but I have to work in it. All these small details are annoying and annoying to work with. Extremely inconvenient tool.

Thanks for sharing your idea. I understand it’s not the same as setting defaults, but it seems like styles might be able to help. If there are elements that only require a single fill, stroke, effect, etc. you could apply one of your preferred styles and then break it to make adjustments.
I do this with images quite often.

Again I know this isn’t quite the same as setting defaults for each property but wanted to share in case it’s helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Josh that is a good workaround that I do use often. Hopefully one day we will have the ability to set the default starting properties. Cheers!

1 Like