See where component is used / find component Instances across files

Just adding my weight to this. It’s absolutely essential to maintain a complex, organisation-wide design system.

Really hoping Figma is working on it.

7 Likes

Man, this would be a TOTAL game changer. All those plugins are either too slow or simply do not work on large files or across multiple files.

2 Likes

+1 - We need this

3 Likes

This was easy to do in Sketch 3 years ago. Robust component handling is something I really miss from Sketch. Things like notifications when a component you’re deleting still has instances and where they are, easy copy/pasting master components between files without detaching instances. I’ve used Gleb’s Master plug-in, which is helpful, but Figma should really support these things in product by now.

3 Likes

Yes, we need this feature as well. Maybe an idea is to add it also as part of the branching review flow upon merge or publish

1 Like

I have been waiting for this feature to make it in.

3 Likes

Silly workaround, but it helped me! I just edit the background of the component to be an obnoxious color that’s not used in my file. Then I go through the pages zoomed out looking for that color. Another option, which would let you find it in the layers, is to add text to the component that says something unique like “Find me – I wish Figma could do this!” and then do a find on that text. Yes-- I’d rather right-click on the component and choose “Find instances”… but until then, this trick will work for me.

5 Likes

+1
This is essential for any company utilizing a design system

It will be an interesting feature

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @Karina_Hinch!

We’ve moved your reply to a more relevant feature request thread. Be sure to also vote, so we have a more accurate gauge of interest from the community! :point_up:

1 Like

I would like to know if there is a quick way to see if the component on library is still used, if so how many times, in which project files it is located, if there are duplicates etc.?
The analytics page is not really helpful (too global, we need to search the component we have in mind).
I would like to see all the data of component directly on the artboard (right click menu?). Also see if the component is a ghost (not used ever so we can kill him for good).
An analytics page of the component in popin or slide page with quick access to manage it.

2 Likes

Hey @Vinciane_SITGES,

Thanks for your feedback! We’ve merged it with an existing feature request to ensure we have an accurate gauge of interest from the community.

1 Like

It would be amazing if it were possible to click on an instance and see a list of all the elements in which that instance is being used (in the same page, in all pages and in all files).

Scenario:
If I’m a new designer at a company with a giant design system and organization issues, and the only tool I have is the search field, which requires me to copy and paste the name of each of the hundreds or thousands of instances to know if my change will destroy some element… this is crazy!

Solution:
• In the right menu, add an area that would show:

This selected instance is being used:
• 59 times (In 3 files / 14 pages) :

• X file:
    • Page to;
    – Object I;
    – Object II;
    – Object III;
    • Page b;
    – Object IV;
    • Page c;
    – Object V;
    – Object VI;
  • y-file:
    • Page h;
    • Page i;
  • z-file:
    • Page m;
    • Page n;
8 Likes

This would be a super awesome feature. In managing a design system it is important to track how often components are used and get some design KPIs. Get some metrics over time. If it’s still used or not. I really would love to have this feature to understand the impact of certain components → deprecate/advance.

3 Likes

I have a large project going on, with lots of components and variants. It is a pain to have to go through each page to see where a certain component has been used or not.

Taking this into account it would be great if in the future, we can click on a main component and see the usage of that component throughout the Figma file.

Maybe highlight each of the pages in that file that has that certain component, and being able to go to that component directly!

Search function doesn’t work, if we rename the instance.
We still need a solution for this. :smiling_face_with_tear:

We are a larger design system, have over 100 of “main components”, and around 50 “asset components” (that will be consumed by many main components.)

For example, we have a “header” asset, it’s consumed in both Dialog and Drawer.
But we rename it “Dialog header” and “Drawer header”
Then you won’t be able to find that.

2 Likes

Hey there, thank you for raising this feature request with us! As a workaround there is a plugin you could use to find all Instances of a Component used in your file. Also, I have merged your post with a similar one.

1 Like

I also want to emphasize the importance of this topic. I just posted a post of my own about the difficulty with the library manager

I work in a large project where i have a need to find and edit component variable instances in multiple files. The library manager gives me false numbers of usages in files. So basically i find each variant use case per file and use the Instance finder plugin and often find nothing.

What Figma needs, is a library manager that can list each use case individually and direct to them, and in addition to that, a native tool to find each instance of the same component and/or variant even if the instances are renamed.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link! CTRL + F (Windows) worked great for me.

1 Like

Would it be possible to have a link to it?